She’s That Kind of Friend

Our ladies’ small group meets in Karen’s home on Wednesday nights for food, faith, and friendship. All twenty-five of us are welcomed the same way~~

With a big hug and a smile.

One night in early December, I noticed sprigs of greenery around her home~~

Above the chandelier~

In the bathroom by the sink~

Nestled in her centerpiece on the coffee table.

Karen’s creativity intrigued me.

She’d decorated her house by cutting branches from her Christmas tree–something I’d never done–or even thought about doing.

But her gifts run much deeper than her decorating skills.

Her relationship with God and others her is alive and real.

Sipping my coffee, I sat down in my usual spot in her den and remembered specific prayers from this group~~

The Wednesday night in May when they prayed over me and my writing~

In November, I spoke at a women’s Christmas tea~~

Covering in fear, I called Karen that afternoon. “I’m scared. Will you pray for me?”

She started praying, and I dropped to my knees in my bedroom. By the time she finished, I felt calm and fearless. I knew God was with me.

Then I remembered this summer~~

How a bunch of us from small group met on Wednesday nights to walk and pray.

Karen led the way.

We covered miles of territory, circling schools, neighborhoods, police stations–even the streets of downtown Atlanta. We prayed in the parking deck before passing out goodies to the homeless.

Karen stopped to smell a blossoming tree. 🙂

Karen’s living, breathing faith had spread across our group the same way she’d spread clippings from her live Christmas tree.

I came home from group that December night and cut pieces of our tree.

I put a sprig in the candy bowl.

And on the coffee table~

On the front porch beside the door~

And draped some on a wall hanging.

Lighting candles, I inhaled the scent of pine and thought,

Karen doesn’t just spread greenery from her Christmas tree~~she spreads life from a Living God!

She’s THAT kind of friend.

When I told her I wanted to write about her, she got choked up and said, “I don’t do anything for y’all that you don’t do for me.”

The best kind of friends draw us closer to Jesus. Click to tweet.

P.S. I’m going to leave my fresh sprigs out for as long as they’ll last!

Do you have a friend like Karen who’ll pray for you on the spot?

Comments

1. Carm Russell says:

Yes…however it’s a struggle in the friendship department for me right now. Both old and new. I keep thinking He wants to make sure He’s my very best friend first and then the rest will follow. I just keep praying and trusting Him.

• Ohhhh, yes……you made such a good point, Carm. He must be our very best Friend. Him first. Always. It doesn’t work any other way, does it?

So much love,

• Carm Russell says:

Yes ma’am. But girlfriends are such a special gift from Him.

Beautiful post. You’re that kind of friend. Love you

• Love you too, Anna. I believe God brought us together to pray for and encourage each other. I’m so grateful for your friendship!

3. Beautiful, Julie! Happy New Year!

• Thank you, my friend. Happy New Year to you too! So glad we met face-to-face and had a chance to talk to each other.

xoxoxoxo

4. Robin says:

beautiful friend Julie-
    and yes I have a friend like that 😉

5. Wanda Jordan says:

You said it perfectly Julie. Karen is that kind of friend and so are you and many of the ladies in our small group. I cherish the love, friendship, and prayers with of ALL of you!

• Yes, yes, yes! We can’t wait to welcome you back. Hope it’s soon! I love you, my friend. Our hearts are connected, Wanda.

• Wanda Jordan says:

Thank you Julie….I hope I am back soon too. Love you Julie. (((HUGS)))

6. Teri says:

Yes. I have that friend. Her name is Julie and her faith inspires me. There are others that join on occasions. I’m so thankful.

• Hey Teri….

So very kind of you. I’m thankful for how God has reconnected us–after nearly 40 years! Eeeeeek!

Hugging you from here,

7. Julie, I have always put sprigs around my house but you’ve given me a whole new way of thinking about them. Love your insights.
    Have a blessed New Year.
    Love, Bev

• Soooooo, you knew this little decorating, tip, Bev. 🙂 🙂

It moved me so much that I had to run home and copy her.

Love your heart, my friend. Thank you for letting me know you’re reading–and that you get it.

8. Do I have a friend who’ll pray for me on the spot? You bet I do. And she’s a fabulous friend. It’s YOU! Love you to pieces!

9. Marci' a says:

Oh, dear Julie! As I read this, I thought — as so many here have expressed, You are such a friend. A few weeks ago, when I was in need of prayer, You were one of the first to come to mine. E-mail Julie, she will pray. There are those who come to mind at such times, and You are such a friend.
    God Bless you, May you have a wonderful new year. Thank you for your friendship. Love you!

• I feel the same way abut you, Marci’a. It’s miraculous they way we became friends, isn’t it?

So much love,

And thank you!

Julie, my closest friends are my mom and our daughters, all of whom I can count on for prayer. Many times, I can FEEL my mom’s prayers for me. She is a true prayer warrior and spends many hours in her prayer closet.

Other than those dearest to me, you are one friend I’d consider contacting for prayer if needed…you and several other writer friends who have become dear to me over the past few years. There aren’t any I see on a regular basis, just through Facebook, but they are closer to being true friends than I’ve had in previous years. And I thank you.

Blessings for a beautiful advent into a new year! (Will the next blogpost be about your word-of-the-year?!)

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Cathy!!!!

You’ll never believe it (yes you will)….. I’m still trying to pick my word. I “think” I know what it is, but it’s absolutely ridiculous!

You can’t imagine how much it means for me to discover that my blog is connecting people–like you and me. 🙂

When I started blogging 6 1/2 years ago, I never dreamed I’d be making precious new friends.

Thank you, My Friend. And I know what you mean about feeling someone’s prayers for you.

• Cathy Mayfield says:

My word came from the one I picked three years ago, then the next year…only to have the Spirit impress on me the “one” He wanted me to have, which ended up the perfect ones for those years. And from last year’s word preparing me for this year’s! Then, a most delightfully serendipitous confirmation sealed the deal! That’s enough teasers for now! I’ll share more when you post yours! 😉

11. Beautiful, Julie. I believe you have been that kind of friend to me. On the spot. I’m so thankful for you. xoxo

Trackbacks

1. […] October, a few ladies gathered at Karen’s house to eat dinner and pray for healing. We knelt in her den floor around the ottoman, our […]