Another Day to Live and Love

Saturday morning, my husband Rick and I were having our porch party, and I sensed God’s gentle voice inside my heart.

Slow down. Look around you. Praise Me.

But I didn’t do it.

I ignored a dogwood tree in full bloom.

The next night, the strangest thing happened.

When it did, I had a feeling everything around me was about to change, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Rick took a shower and came into our bedroom. His hair was wet, and he had a towel wrapped around his waist. “Did I just take a shower?”

“Of course. Why’re you asking me?”

“I’m not sure. I can’t remember.”

“Are you okay?”

“I had a weird dream. Did I just take a nap?”

Had he fallen and hit his head?

I checked the bathroom. No blood.

He paced from the kitchen to the den like he was lost. Something was terribly wrong.

I felt numb–scared–refused to believe what might be happening.

I asked him to sit down. “Do you feel okay? You look confused. Can you tell me today’s date?”

He paused.

I stopped breathing.

“I don’t know.”

“Who’s the president?”

“Jimmy Carter.”

Maybe he’s playing an April Fool’s joke.

“Isn’t it Carter? George Bush?”

I felt everything inside me sink.

Oh, Dear Lord…

I grabbed the flashlight to check his pupils, but my hands were shaking. I couldn’t find the off/on switch. “Can you turn this on?”

If you can’t, I’m calling 911.

He did and handed it back to me.

His pupils responded to light. Blood pressure, 132/94. A little high but not stroke level.

Not yet.

“We’re going to the hospital,” I said. “Get dressed.”

“I’m fine.”

I  called our 24-year-old son who was at his fiance’s house. “Thomas, come home. We’re taking your dad to the hospital.”

At the ER, the nurse got us back quickly.

“Mr. Garmon, what year is it?” the doctor said.

“I’m not sure.”

Help, God.

“Take a guess,” the doctor said.

“Is it 2016?”

I shouldn’t be relieved that my husband knows what year it is.

“What month is this?” the doctor said.

“I don’t know.”

“Take a guess.”

“September? October?”

“We’re running an MRI and CT scan, check your carotid arteries, do an echo…”

Is this for real? Am I dreaming?

I spent the night at the hospital. Neither one of us slept. All during the night, he caught me watching him.

“You okay?”

“Fine.”

Just before the sun came up, I crawled into bed with him.

In less than twenty-four hours, his test results came back.

Everything was normal.

The doctors think he experienced something called Transient Global Amnesia. It’s very peculiar. You’ll have to read about it.

Basically, it means he lost several hours of his life. He’ll never remember what happened.

He’s supposed to slow down. Reduce stress. Prioritize his life.

Sounded like a wake-up call for him.

For me too–to pay attention to what matters most.

At our next porch party, I picked up Jesus Calling to read the devotional. “What’s today’s date? I’ve lost track…” I looked at him.

A tiny wave of fear came over me.

He smiled. “April the fifth.”

I thanked God for another day to be with the man I love.

The gift of another morning.

Another porch party.

I thought about my people. Family. Friends.

The dogwood tree beside our porch.

I broke off a branch and brought it inside.

Lord, another day to live and love. Thank You. I love You.

Have you ever been reminded of what matters most? It’s not usually a painless process, is it?  Click to tweet.

Comments

Oh Julie! (And Rick),

I am so glad this had a happy ending. Scary, but beautiful too.

And this is so true: “Have you ever been reminded of what matters most? It’s not usually a painless process, is it?”

Christ’s love and prayers! Kim Palmer

Hey, Kim,

So good to hear your voice!! I wonder why it is that learning and growing and changing always seems to involve pain. At least a little bit.

Thanks so much for reading and for commenting.

Big hugs this afternoon!

Wow. So glad Rick is okay. I certainly can relate to this. Love you

I thought about you while I was writing it, Anna`~~~

I’m praying for you.

I love you~~~~

3. Jennifer says:

I’m so glad he is ok . It really makes us understand what is important!

I know, Jennifer.

And it was totally w/out warning!

Thank you so much for letting me know you’re reading and that you “get” it.

4. Shawnelle says:

Julie, prayong daily for Rick. Thank you for sharing today. It reminds me to pause and praise. I love you.

• Julie says:

I love you too, Shawnelle.

Your writing always slows me down–sort of like that dogwood tree–and reminds me to pause and pray.

5. That is so scary. My husband used to tease me about what would be written on my T-shirt. He’d say, “Don’t look … what’s on your T-shirt? What does it say?” And I wouldn’t know any of it. I’d just thrown it on … not paying attention really. So … I sure understand. But the memory … that’s super scary. It scared you … you love him. Praying for you both.

• Julie says:

Ahhhhh, Shelli! That is scary. Sort of like, “Quick, what’d you have for lunch yesterday???”

Thank you for reading and for understanding how I felt.

And for your love~~~~

6. Carm Russell says:

Dear Julie,

I am sorry you had to experience that scare. It’s never easy. However with prayer, family, and friends you get through it. Step by step.

For sure, Carm.

It brought back lots of memories from when my dad died with a brain tumor. He was 48. I was 23.

No other way to get through it but exactly what you said.

So much love to you today~~~

• Carm Russell says:

My Dad passed just before his 54th bday. I was just shy of 20.

I will keep praying the your husband continues to recover. And for God to wrap His arms around you in strength and peace.

• wow…if you and I ever got together for coffee, we’d have lots to talk about.

Friday morning hugs, my friend.

xoxo

• Julie says:

Carm, I have a feeling if you and I ever got together for coffee, we’d have PLENTY to talk about. Wow—–

Thank you and so much love to you this Friday~~~

• Carm Russell says:

Yes ma’am I believe we would! ⚓️

Julie, you didn’t mention how Rick feels about all that happened. I want to share with you a tiny part of what I went through with the “mini-seizures” I dealt with. When they happened, I was terrified. One time, I was reading to our youngest, probably elementary-aged, and she said, “Mommy, you didn’t read that right.” Apparently, I read the line from right to left! Another time, I filled out a check and signed my name…however, it wasn’t MY name I signed! Often, I would be talking with one of our daughters’ many friends who frequented our home, girls I knew well, and suddenly, in the middle of our conversation, I had no idea who I was talking to! And the time that made me have to have it checked, I was driving to the grocery store and suddenly had no idea if I was driving on the correct side of the road!

For almost 20 years, I dealt with times like this, ofttimes unable to drive for months, taking medication on top of medication which hurt not only my other body systems but destroyed our finances, and finally ate away my confidence in being able to do the simplest things. From being an intelligent, upbeat, hard-working, homeschooling wife and mother to a scared, grief-stricken, depressed shell of who I’d been, I suffered almost alone…but with Christ by my side. It’s not easy to feel unable to function on the normal levels…and knowing it!

A year and a half ago, I went off all the medications, due to a change in doctors, and also claimed healing from the seizures. Hallelujah! What joy to drive the car to the grocery story, knowing I was on the right side of the road, able to look at the list I made, and find the correct items…to go home and be able to put them in the right places and fix a meal without having to think hard about whether I was putting rice in the water or birdseed. It sounds funny…but as you now know, it’s not. And, Julie, if you think it was scary for you, ask Rick. If God has been merciful, He kept him from having to deal with it as I did. From your descriptions of him over the past year or so, I know he is an intelligent, caring, hard-working, man of God. When that’s suddenly taken away, it’s hard to remember to breathe.

Now…I must ask for prayer. Something is once again happening in my brain…or elsewhere…but once more unknown. I went to the doctor on Monday, who promptly put me on no-driving restrictions until further notice, and is sending me for MRIs and more tests. I’m stressed to the max, to say the least, especially since I am supposed to be going to our daughters to help with the baby because her back is out and she is supposed to go back to work next week. Also, my classes I teach are ending in two weeks, so I have mountains of editing to do for end-of-the-year projects and evaluations and all that before those two weeks are up. Yeah…life is tough when your mind won’t cooperate and when you lose the everyday privileges.

Love to you and your family, Julie. My prayers are storming heaven on your behalf. Sooo grateful for His grace and mercy on you.

Ohhhh, Cathy………

Wow…….

My friend. What can I say that will convey what’s in my heart? First, I care and I’m praying for you. Second, one of our biggest enemies is fear. So, I’m praying against that for you and I’m praying you’ll be so aware of His Spirit hovering close, protecting you, watching over you, helping you.

How Rick felt–he says he wasn’t afraid. Just confused for a little bit. He’s not one to analyze things like I am. I don’t know if I’ve ever seem him afraid. I’m checking his B/P for the next month and he’s to go back for a recheck after that.

I can’t even imagine how you must’ve felt with everything sort of scrambled.

Please let us know how you’re doing–be sure to check back in with our little group here.

We love you!

• Fleur says:

Cathy, I’m sending you lots of love and prayers from France. I had similar troubles after my accident, not quite as intense but that same feeling of not being able to count on my own brain and logic. I totally get the feeling of having to concentrate to know whether it’s bird feed or rice and constantly checking again because I couldn’t be sure of the validity of the last check.
      I’ve been doing much better recently, I don’t have a final solution yet but there are some things which have helped perhaps you could write me at bubblingover81@yahoo.fr and we can see if some of the things which helped me could help you.
      Best, Fleur

• Fluer–so kind of you. My sweet friend, I’m saying a prayer for you right now….

All my love <3 <3 <3

8. Brenda Osborne says:

Julie, glad that Rick is ok. That was very scary. This shows us how quickly our lives can change.
    It reminds me to thank God everyday for all the blessings in my life !
    We cannot take things for granted. My son sometimes calls me during the night just to talk. Sounds crazy, but because I almost lost him at age six, I talk to him and listen through sleepy ears to what he has to say. I cannot take him for granted because he is a miracle given to me by God in 1973.
    I decide that I can sleep later. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Brenda,

What you just said is beautiful…a mother’s love, always and unconditional. Just beautiful. I can feel it in your comment.

Thank you for understanding and for writing on this post.

So much love—and looking forward to whenever I see you again! I love talking to you at Robin’s parties.

XOXO

9. Wow. We will certainly include Rick & you in our prayers. I’m glad you took him to the ER and that they were knowledgeable about TGA. Years ago I had a client who experienced this. Unlike Rick, she was in a department store and in her TGA state caused a lot of damage. Though we were armed with experts and video that clearly showed she was out of it, the district attorney and judge had never heard of it before and refused to believe such a thing exists. I’m glad Rick had you there.

Cherish the moments.

Whew, Chuck…….

The Dr said we should be grateful that he was at home.

Can’t believe the DA and judge wouldn’t consider her condition. The drs said you can’t see it on any tests. There’s no evidence of it. And most likely, it’ll never happen again.

Thanks for reading and for your comment. Helps to know someone else has heard of this, and it’s REAL.

Julie, I said a prayer for Rick as soon as I read your post! I stopped breathing when I started reading his symptoms. Thank God it was not an Alzheimer’s diagnosis! May I send Rick a postcard? I am so glad that he is in a holding pattern now. How are you? I send my love to you both. How are your children Katie, Thomas, and Jamie doing with diagnosis?
    Xoxo

Patricia,

You are The Sweetest Person! Sure, that would be totally fine to send him a postcard. All the children are doing okay. The girls offered to come to the hospital, but I told them to stay put. I was SOOOO grateful Thomas was nearby. Brittany lives about 10 minutes away, so he was home in a few minutes and drove us to the hospital.

Your Grateful Friend in Georgia

11. Georgia says:

Julie: I found myself holding my breath as I read your post. I am so glad for a happy ending. Praise be to God. Prayers. Georgia

• Julie says:

I found myself holding my breath as we were going through it, Georgia.

My dad died of a brain tumor. Lots of thoughts running through my mind at once.

Just so very, very grateful for another day.

12. How scary! Oh my goodness- how lucky your were armed with the skills he needed and the knowledge to know how to proceed. How fortunate that you were there with him, too! In times like these, I feel I hear Him saying to me, “Draw nearer,” and that is exactly what you did. Your vision for what matters was refocused and now you can see with fresh eyes! Prayers for continued recovery!

• Julie says:

Reading your “Draw nearer” Vicky, that’s exactly how it felt, and what I did. Yes, there were moments that made no sense, but I knew I only had two choices. And if I gave into fear, it wasn’t going to be good.

Thank you, my friend.

So much love. I’m praying for you.

13. Oh my, Julie! How scary that must of been! I know I would of been shaking. You handled the situation so well. The Lord does like to remind us to slow down at times and notice what’s most important in our lives. I was so glad as I read through your post to see that Rick was okay! And, that the doctor knew what had happened.

A verse that I remind myself of at times when my life gets cluttered is this one: “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10). He wants us to slow down and to notice his beautiful creation and those in our lives who need and love us.

Sending love your way, dear friend.

• Julie says:

That’s exactly what your gorgeous photography does for me, Eileen…it reminds me to “Be still and know that He’s God.”

Thank you for your sweet words, such a good reminder. And thank you for the beauty you bring to the world!

XOXOXOXO

14. Who boy! I can feel your concern, Julie! Scary night. I’ll be praying Rick slows down like he’s supposed to! Love you!

• Julie says:

And thank you for being you. I can’t think about you w/out smiling.

I love you–grateful for your friendship!

15. Shelley Elaine says:

OHHHH, Julie!!! Tears…That sounds terrifying! And, gives me dejavu from my 12 y/o’s seizure in Jan. The feeling I remember experiencing when she couldn’t tell the paramedic her name…still makes my blood run cold…but OHHH the GRATEFULNESS that washes over me in seeing her sweet smile this morning and in reading that your Rick is restored…THANK YOU LORD JESUS! Please pour out blessings and peace and restored health on Julie and Rick and hold them in the palm of Your capable hand.

• Julie says:

Shelley, I’m tearing up reading this.

YES, THIS IS HOW I FELT. Although, they don’t think he had a seizure.

Right now, I’m imagining your daughter’s early morning smile, and I’m whispering, “Thank You, Lord. Thank You. We love You.”

Hugging you from here~~

16. In my heart and prayers, Julie. Your across the miles friend, Kathleen

17. Nancy Griggs says:

Oh Julie! Many things to be thankful for and to pray about. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hey Nancy,

Thank you! So kind of you to take time to comment and to pray for us.

So far, all is well. I’m to take his B/P weekly for a month and then he goes back for a recheck.

Blessings~~

18. Helen Gipe says:

That is so scary, Julie. My husband has diabetes, and I worry a lot. I am very afraid of the moment when I will be where you were. I am so glad Rick is OK. And glad to know about this issue that I never heard of.

Hugs to you and Rick.

Helen

• Julie says:

You know, Helen, that’s something that occurred to me–that maybe he had diabetes, but all the sugar levels were fine.

Life gets more….interesting as we go along, doesn’t it?

Thank you for your sweet comment and for caring. Means so much!

19. Prickly hairs sprang up when I read this, even though I knew it had happened and we had texted. I felt right there with you as you described the scene. Prayers instantly surfaced again. Prayers for Rick. Prayers for Julie. Prayers for many, many more porch parties and a home filled with love (and less stress for Rick…don’t these men of ours have the hardest time as providers? And it makes us love them so….). Hugs to you both.

• Julie says:

Such sweeeeeeeeet words, B.J.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes,

I love you. Thank you. Felt so good to be able to talk to you about it. I guess you and I are a little different than our hubbies in that way. We have to TALK about our feelings!!!

xoxoxoxoxox

OH My, Dearest Julie! That had to be so scary! My heart was going up in my throat as I read it. I had to pray, and then prayers of Thanks that it turned out OK. Such times do make us think about all that is really important, and changes our thoughts on what is important. I am so happy for you and Rick that Rick is OK. So glad you knew what to do. I am glad you shared this with us, the serious and important things.
    Sounds like a life changing moment.
    Sometimes I pray, for those the Lord presses on my heart, – You are in those prayers. And as I pray I include prayers for the things I don’t know: the needs that you have that the Lord knows even if I don’t. This seems like it was a good time to have such prayers for you.
    We really do have to live each day to the fullest don’t we? We really do have to smell the flowers and see God’s glory around us.. and appreciate the dear people God has blessed us with.

God Bless you and thanks so much for sharing this life lesson with us.

Love you, and treasure you,
    Marci’a

Marci’a….

My friend, you are a prayer warrior. I believe God is leading your prayers.

Thank you. Means more than you can imagine, and I know this for sure–when you say, “I’ll be praying for you,” you mean it.

I love you~~~

21. Pat Garczynski says:

Julie, I’m so glad Rick is OK after this frightening episode! I just have some advice if this were ever to happen again: please call 911 immediately & at the very first sign & don’t rely on your son or anyone to get you to ER. A 911 vehicle has monitoring equipment on the truck & can also speed and stop traffic enabling a faster arrival at the hospital. Love & prayers……

Good advice, Pat.

I was so torn. I almost did. He kept saying he was fine. Fine. Fine! I was surprised he agreed to go to the ER.

So very grateful, my friend.

Much love~

• Fleur says:

Ah men, always trying to be self sufficient and capable. But I agree with an earlier comment that he’s lucky you have the skills and knew what to do.
        We’re lucky too, as it would have been so heart beaking to think of our dear Julie in distress with something worse to face. I can imagine how scary it must have been for you at the time and the challenge it is to not let fear in even now. But am praying for you both. Hugs!

• Such kindness in your words, Fleur. And I’m soaking them all in.

I’m not a nurse, I’m a medical assistant. I’ve worked in pediatrics and knew enough to do the little bit I did. It’s like I drew as close to God as possible, didn’t let panic it (well, not for long) and asked Him to help me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOOX

• Fleur says:

Julie, I’ve been trying to write you since I read your post but it won’t let me. .. So, I’ll try again now….
        What a scary circumstance to be in, and I’m so happy he’s well and hasn’t faced any long term difficulties regarding this. It would have been so sad to think of our dear Julie and husband in distress with something worse.
        Congratulations on getting through this without panicking. Seems all that practice of choosing faith over fear in little situations has paied off.
        Praying for you both. Hugs!

• I did get the above comment (before this one). Not sure why it wouldn’t let you “comment.”

So far, so good. We went to our regular doctor a week later for a recheck. His B/P was a little high. Dr asked me to check his B/P once a week and then return to his office to check it again. It’s been fine at home.

Grateful for so much….so much.

Love from my little cabin in the woods this morning, my friend. and THANK YOU.

22. Colleen McAllister says:

Wow, Julie, that would be scary! One of my greatest fears is of something like that happening. Thank you for the reminder to slow down and enjoy life and God’s creation.

• Julie says:

You know, Colleen—–my dad died with a brain tumor, so that went through my mind.

All I know is I felt God inside of me helping me fight the fear. I’m so grateful–it could’ve gone the other way. And I came out of it doing exactly what you said.

OXOXO

23. I panicked just reading this. Living in the middle of cancer, at only 48, I know the fear. My Savior holds me, assures me, but sometimes I hold my breath and forget to let it out, just thinking about what the future may bring. It’s been nothing but slow down for two months. It’s liberating and sobering at once.

• Julie says:

Flea, I know…I mean, I don’t know how you feel, but I’m praying for you.

No way we can live each day and look ahead and worry, is there.

Thank you, my friend. Sending love and prayers your way~~

24. Oh Julie,
    I couldn’t breathe as I read this. It was so close to home. Last October my beloved husband, Bert, left two messages on my phone. At the time I was teaching my college class so my phone was off. As I left the classroom to head home, I turned my phone back on. The first message said that he had left his office (as a counselor) a bit early as he wasn’t feeling like himself. The second message said, “I think I’m having a stroke.” My heart stopped. I could barely breathe. I got in the car, headed for home praying out loud, called and left a message with no response, and called 911. I arrived at home minutes before the paramedics and Bert, like your hubby, was having a tough time- disoriented, unsure of the year, and some physical changes. Long story short he had a TIA stroke with no brain damage and is doing much better today.
    I still ask him, now and again, what year it is. Praise God that your hubby, and mine, are still here!!
    God Bless! Linda

• Julie says:

Linda, my eyes filled up when I read about your husband.

This morning, I was teasing my husband…I said, “If you don’t know what today is, don’t tell me.” He said, “Well, don’t ask me that question anymore.”

So, so, so grateful that our husbands made it through.

So much love to you (and him!) and thank you for reading and writing.

You understand~~~~~~~

25. How terrifying! I’m so glad he is ok

Me too, Elizabeth.

Thanks for reading and writing to me…to all of us!

26. Mary says:

Holy cats! That must have been very scary. I’m glad you are both doing better. When I read this, I immediately looked up at a sign I have posted on my desk: “Now. Here. This.” This moment — the “now” moment — is a precious treasure.

LOVE YOUR SIGN~

And how quickly we forget what it says and what matters most.

The fear–I knew I could go either way. Over and over, I kept choosing to trust, but I knew fear was nipping at my heels.

Thank you so much, Mary, for reading and for caring.

27. Monica Morris says:

Oh Julie, you just made my heart stop. I loved your blog the other day, but got interrupted before my not-so-smart-phone brought it up. As I read your blog this morning, I thought about all the little fears we let lie dormant until something like that happens. We always think that it won’t happen to us or we’ll be prepared. And life marches on, whether we want it to or not. I’m so grateful your husband is okay and I’m really, really thankful for your graceful reminder not to take ANYTHING for granted. Especially the beauty all around us and the beautiful people we share it with. Like you. God bless you and your family always. <3

• Julie says:

You’re absolutely right. LOVE your thoughts. It was totally out of my control and I never saw it coming. I mean, really. Right after he takes a shower it hits?????

I love you, my friend.

So glad we’re on this writing journey together!

28. Norma says:

So thankful you and Rick are ok. I will take time today to stop and smell the roses.thanks for taking the time to write your blog!!!

• Julie says:

Norma, thank you so much for reading!! And for smelling the roses.

Maybe it’s one of those things we forget to do. And then life interrupts our routine.

XOXOXO

HI Julie, wow I’m sorry you both went through this but glad it turned out okay in the end. I will keep you both in my prayers. This took me back to when I had 3 TIA’s or mini-strokes — in my 20’s. It actually wasn’t officially diagnosed. Nothing showed up on any tests, but that’s what they think happened. Like a stroke but not supposed to have any lasting effects. Except mine did, so who knows. One side would go numb for 2 or 3 days. It would all come back, but left me with a slight weakness on my right side (to this day — 30 yrs later), short-term memory loss, slightly impaired ability to concentrate or focus and from time to time slurred words. In the beginning it was very obvious and concerning. I’d ask my son if he’d done his homework and he’d look at me and tell me I’d asked him twice before already and he’d told me he had! I’d pay for groceries and walk out of the store without them, the bagger running after me! I poured a cup of coffee once and went to the fridge for milk and instead got out a 2-liter of pop and caught myself just as I was beginning to pour! I went to write a check for my babysitter and it took me much too long to calculate what I owed her (I’m pretty sharp at math so this concerned me a lot). Once I’d calculated it and went to write the check, the figure left me and I’d have to calculate it again. Finally I had to ask her what I owed her! It got better over time, but it never completely all came back, so I don’t really know if it was a TIA or a real stroke, only mild. Or what it was. But it was scary, confusing, and embarrassing I remember. Sometimes still. So I could feel for you both. I hope it is all behind you now, and only serves to enhance the beauty of each and every moment — the things that really matter 🙂

Blessings to you both!

Leafy Julie

• Julie says:

Leafy, does this happen to you anymore??? This confusion?

I’m SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful you’re okay. Three TIA’s in your twenties. Holy Cow.

I just have to say, “Thank You, Lord, for preserving Julie’s life. She means so much to me. Watch over her. Bless her. Keep her in Your righteous right hand. Thank You for the gift of her life.”

other Julie

• Julie Gilleand says:

Thank you for your prayer, Julie. It doesn’t much happen anymore, thankfully. Just still have concentration problems and weakness on my right side. It’s not very noticeable, the weakness. My right arm and hand just feel a little heavy and tired. I can still do everything, though. I’ve been praying for a different job. Something quieter. A one-person office. My concentration is better in those circumstances than where I am now. I do better work that way, am happier because of it, and less mentally exhausted from it, too. So, hoping the Lord will open another door for me that will work out well. Thanks again for your prayers, and for sharing this experience with the rest of us. Have a blessed weekend 🙂

Leafy

30. Jan Olson says:

Sure a strange and scary wake-up call! Very glad things are resolved and “normal” again, and renewed and beautiful. I too am too prone to get busy and not want to slow down and be still, even when I know the rewards that wait for me in that stillness. God is so patient with us.

• Julie says:

Jan, it must be a universal thing–this tendency to rush, rush, rush through life….until something forces us to slow down.

Thank yo so much for reading and for writing to me.

Let’s notice His beauty and grace and mercy today…

31. Jan Olson says:

Such a relief to read to the end!

32. Patti Wiersma says:

Oh, Julie. I felt my heart stop and was holding my breath as I read this. I think you handed it so well (you definitely had help from above). I remember this happening to my Dad once when he was alive. He came out of it in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and didn’t remember a thing. I am so relieved everything is okay. God bless you. Pattk

• Julie says:

Thank you so much, Patti.

I definitely felt two….forces, if that’s the right word, inside me. I knew I could go either way. Fear or faith. At times I teetered toward fear, but fear just wears you out, you know? And if I allow a tiny lit bit to stay very long, it takes me under.

Thank you for reading and for caring and for writing.

So much love~~

33. Julie,
    My husband collapsed in the eye doctor’s office several years ago. The staff did not know what to do and the doctor never came out if he was still in the bldg. My husband, Tom, had no pulse and we could not get a blood pressure. I kept talking to him loudly telling him to breath as I poked him in the chest and under his chin to make him uncomfortable. He was ok within about 2 or 3 hours of being admitted to the hospital. Condition was related to a blood pressure medication.

I certainly understand how you felt. Never let go of the lessons God offers in those times. Thanks for the reminder as you share your life and story with us.

I love your porch parties. We have weekly date night but think we will have a patio party weekly.

• Julie says:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Judy…..And all of this because of B/P medicine. So sorry y’all had to go through it. I felt it with you as I read what happened.

I’m jumping up and down thinking y’all might start having patio parties!!! You’ll love them!!! Let me know if you do!!!!

🙂 🙂 🙂 What a way to celebrate the moment 🙂 🙂

34. Has he experienced it again ever since? I hope not. This is the first time I’ve heard of this kind of amnesia. My, that’s alarming. What if it happens to you and you’re outside or in a strange place with people you don’t know. I’m terrified to think about it.

I’m glad your husband’s fine.

What a beautiful reminder to pause, take it slow and love every day.

• No, Lux. It hasn’t happened anymore. Thank You, Lord. We’re checking his B/P weekly and he’ll go back in a month for the DR to recheck it.

I know–we talked about that–if he’d been in a strange place when it happened.

So thankful.

And thank you for reading and for caring.

Julie, Please say prayers and ask all your loved ones to say prayers for my Dad. His prostrate test results were not good.
    Xox

• Ohhh, Patricia. Okay, I’m going to get on my knees right now and pray. And I bet everybody else who sees this will too.

Sending you a lot of love, my friend.

Thank you, Julie! That means the world to me! How is Rick doing? Said a prayer for him. ((:

37. Sweet Julie, although I prayed with you for your dear man when y’all were going through this, I missed this post. But I’ve been praising God for His protection. I praise Him for his quick healing. I praise Him for being right there with y’all in the ER, comforting and strengthening you both! Beautiful post of His goodness and grace!