My 2016 Word–The Flip Side of Surrender

A couple of weeks ago, one word from a Scripture verse danced off the page, begging for my attention. Can you guess what it was?

“And David danced before the Lord with all his might…” 2 Samuel 6:14 (KJV)

As a child, I loved to dance.

I started taking ballet lessons when I was three. I came alive in the ballet studio–a wide open room with shiny wooden floors and mirrored walls.

But eight years later when I got my first pair of toe shoes, a fearful thought took root.

You’re never going to learn how to dance in these pointy shoes.

So I quit dancing.

My mother spray-painted my toe shoes red. They hung in my bedroom for years.

Untouched but never forgotten.

Yesterday while I thought about 2016 word possibilities, my husband dragged the Christmas tree outside and moved my pie safe back into place.

After days of rain the sun came out, and my wedding dishes sparkled. So pretty. Closing the doors to protect my china, I noticed my oldest child’s handprint.

She’s 34 now.

My hands used to be this small–

When I was a tiny ballerina–

Who stopped dancing because of fear.

Can I actually choose a fun word for 2016? Like  Dance

I always pick stoic words like Enough, Simple, Follow, and Surrender

What if the flip side of Surrender is Dance?

Maybe when we let go of control, we’re free to dance.

I bet when David danced before the Lord he didn’t say, “Don’t watch me. I’m a terrible dancer.” He probably danced with his heart and soul–with everything inside him.

That’s when my word came to me with absolute assurance.

My 2016 word for the year is DANCE.

I danced to the pie safe, flung open the doors, and grabbed some dishes.

Breaking all sorts of decorating rules, I mixed wedding china with my grandmother’s depression glass and set up a coffee station.

I filled an antique container with Sour Patch Kids. I love Sour Patch Kids! 🙂

I even lit a pink candle in the middle of the day.

In 2016, I’m going to:

* Use my wedding china.

* Light more candles.

* Bathe with decorative soap.

* Love people with my whole heart.

* Most of all, I’m going to dance–not just with my feet, but with everything I do.

When we surrender and live fearlessly, others are set free! Click to Tweet

Do you have a 2016 word? Do tell!

Are you gonna dance next year?

For the full experience, watch this video below. If you can’t see it, click here.  She’s even redheaded!

** Let’s remember to pray for those in Texas and the Midwest who’ve been affected by the storms. My heart is with them right now.

P.S. Ballet pics from Pixaby.

Comments

1. Lynne Gentry says:

Dance, friend. Dance with everything that is in you. Can’t wait to see you twirl. My word is HIS. All I have to do is stand prepared and willing. HE will do the rest. Such a relief to this self-absorbed, overachiever. Blessings on 2016, friend. Blessings.

• Happy tears, Lynne. I’m twirling and pirouetting (sp?) in my heart.

LOVE your word. How perfect!! I’m absorbing your word by osmosis right now. 🙂 I think I’m gonna need it.

Your Twin Sister.

I had a wonderful birthday yesterday by just letting go. I watched Frozen with my family and visited our local aquarium and made losta of fun memories.(: I had tasty confetti GF pillsbury cake made by my mom and sister. I love your 2016 word because dancing and celebrating are similar and we should always celebrate God’s love for us. Will you be watching the Rose Parade?
    Xoxox

• Oh, what a wonderful birthday you had, Patricia! I can just see you (in my imagination) smiling. 🙂

My new granddaughter (Katie’s stepdaughter) LOVES Frozen…Loves, loves, loves the movie.

Isn’t that confetti GF cake wonderful? Have you tried their cookies? Their amazing! I make them with GF sprinkles.

Yes, I’ll probably watch some of the Rose Parade.

xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxox

HappyBirthday! I think having a birthday in December is really nice. I was always glad about it. How nice to just have a laid back day and enjoy! God Bless your new year!

3. I don’t have my word yet. But today will be spent in prayer, searching Scripture, and opening my heart and ears to God. 🙂

• I’m looking at your smilin’ face on your profile picture thinking about your word…since you shared it on FB.

Love your word!!!

Y’all, Ane’s word is LISTEN–isn’t that a good word for all of us!

xoxo

Yes, I like that- the word LISTEN, and so right, a good one for all of us, no matter what our word for the year is. 🙂

4. Marjorie Hill says:

Don’t have my word yet but thanks for sharing yours! I’ll let you know when it’s revealed to me. Happy New Year!

5. Brenda E. Greene says:

Delightful post Julie Girl! What a precious way to end the last Wednesday of 2015! Dancing merrily into 2016 lighting candles, drinking from fine China teacups and eating sour patch kids candy! Made me grin big!

As thunder rumbles and rain pelts our tin roof I also have been holding those affected by the storms close in my heart/prayers. And as I sip my hot cup of lemon ginger tea, my heart aches for those who don’t even know where there favorite cup is right now. Humbling.

Word for 2016? Have no idea yet…shucks can’t even remember what my 2015 word was! Guess I’m not as dedicated to that as I should be.

Anyway….thank you Sweet Julie for making our Wednesdays in 2015 SO meaningful! Happy New Year and I look forward to reading about you dancing thru 2016 with total abandonment!

• Cathy Mayfield says:

I definitely second your last paragraph, Brenda! Thank you, Julie! Your love for us and for Jesus shines through each word you write. I’ve so enjoyed the wonderment of Wednesdays this year! Love you!

• And I’m reading your comment–haven’t even finished it, and I’m smiling, Brenda!

Oh, yes, I know…the favorite cup and those who can’t find theirs today. Lord, be with them. Let them sense Your supernatural peace. Minister through the hands of those closet to them. Take away their fear. Dry their tears. Reassure them of Your Love–that You haven’t forgotten them.

And if you come up with a new word (or remember your 2015 one) let us know!

Oh, Julie, another connection between us…actually, several! I fell in love with Sour Patch Kids over this past year, to the tune of eating the whole bag I bought for our daughter’s stocking! (I bought her another one!)

But dancing…oh, how I wanted to dance…to sing…to perform! I sang country songs with my Dad, but not in front of others. I performed in one play, in which I proceeded to knock two of my co-performers off the stage during the show! But dance…I never got to dance. Sure, I cha-cha’d with my mom in our living room, learned “the stroll,” enjoyed polka-ing at a wedding or two…but I never got the chance to truly dance.

However, our daughters have fulfilled that dream. The youngest, Faith, and the one expecting our grandson in Feb., both learned to dance in a variety of styles, the latter by watching old Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire movies over and over. Besides a year when she was tiny, Sarah never had lessons until she had her own job and graduated. She was asked to help teach younger students in exchange for her own classes, in which she went from simple ballet to toe shoes in a matter of months, not years. She also landed the role of Christine in the studio’s production of “Phantom of the Opera,” much to the chagrin of the other students who had studied there for years. And oh, the exquisite joy of watching her dance! It filled the need in me completely.

As for my word for the year, I’m not positive yet. I may go back to my original one I thought I wanted for this year – NOW. That one became waylaid early on by another one, whispered to me by the Holy Spirit – OUR. So, yes, I think NOW is appropriate for this time in my life, when I’m feeling well enough to embrace all it means. NOW is the time for change. So, unless God intervenes again and gives me a different one, I will focus on that: “NOW is the time for change!”

• Cathy, brilliant. Just brilliant. I love your word NOW–and the meaning/reason behind it. Way to go!!

Sour Patch Kids. My favorite are the red ones. How about you? I always eat all the red ones first. 🙂

If I’m going to start dancing around the house, you have to start singing in the shower. 🙂 And then move on to dancing. I’d rather dance than sing in front of people!!!

I know you must be so very proud of your dancin’ daughters!! Wow–that’s wonderful.

P.S. Just talked to my mother. She thinks I got toe shoes sooner than I’m remembering. Maybe I was nine or so?

Oh, well. I’ll keep dancing and you keep singing.

7. Carm Russell says:

My word is “change.” And I thought that 2014 and 15 had been my yrs of change. And my word came from a FB quiz. I almost never ever publish to my page and had just as easily ignored this. I didn’t need anymore change. And then your blog scripture confirmed it.

I have started reaching out to meet and connect with new people. And actually met one of them yesterday. Too coincidental that his name is David like Knig David in your scripture verse? I think it just God’s way of letting me know. Just as in my own morning devotion the scripture was also from Samual about David. So in moving forward in my personal relationships I have encountered a David and whether it is this David or another relationships, especially new ones, involve change. So my word for 2016 is CHANGE…bring it on!
    More new “Davids”
    Continue getting back to a healthy weight (per oncologist’s suggestion/order)
    Church web & FB page

• All those Davids in your life, Carm! Woweeeeee! Sounds like God’s whispering to you. Love it when He does that.

CHANGE. That’s a big word, isn’t it? Sort of like my year of SURRENDER. But ohhhh, what an amazing year. God brought me through so many…well, changes. Please let us know how it goes!

Okay–will be praying with you and for you about your New Year’s CHANGES.

• Carm Russell says:

Thank you for the prayers. I appreciate it very much. A bit scared but I know God has a plan for this part of my life as well.

• Okay, let me know how it goes. Change is always just a wee bit scary–to start with, but He’ll be with you every step of the way.

Hugging you from here (between dance steps). Just kidding. 🙂

I love your word — DANCE! Can’t wait to hear about all the ways you dance through your life this year! I don’t have a word yet, but will let you know when I do.

I had one of those ballerina music boxes. I also had a Dancerina doll. Do you remember those? She was a ballerina, with tutu and toe shoes and wore a crown or tiara. You turned the crown/tiara on top of her head and she’d spin around on her toes. She had other moves too. I loved her! I just found a picture of her online I’ll message to you when I’m done here.

I used to want to take ballet lessons but I’m sure would have been much to awkward and ungraceful to do it. Too much of a tomboy too probably! However, I love to watch dancing and secretly wish I could do it — to this day! I did have a friend who taught me some disco dances (way back when) and it was the most fun ever! I loved the movies Flashdance and Dirty Dancing. I wanted to do ALL those things. And with Patrick Swayze would have been nice too (hehe).

For a time, I attended a church that frowned on dancing, considering it ungodly. But I remember going to the Ice Capades one year and the beauty and grace of these ice dancers brought me to tears. Who but God could have given them this kind of talent?! And if God gave it, how could it be considered ungodly?

And did you see Steve Irwin’s daughter Bindi on Dancing with the Stars do that beautiful tribute to her father through dancing? I don’t watch that show but I did see that and it, too, brought me to tears.

And one last plug for dancing — my husband and I met at a roller skating rink. You sort of dance as you skate and this I could do, at least a little. We moonlight-couple-skated to the 70’s song “Always and Forever” and it forever after became “our” song, and those words are how we sign cards and letters to each other often.

So those things are the extent of my dance experience (oh I forgot, my older son Tim who could dance like Michael Jackson tried to no avail to teach me how to moonwalk! He’d get down and move my feet the way they needed to go and I just could never do it. It didn’t make sense to me. Like walking forward and backward at the same time!). But I know you are talking about more than physical dance here and I love thinking about what ways maybe I can dance in my life, in my walk with God every journey. Thanks for planting that idea!

I’m hearing in my head right now the Bee Gee’s singing “Staying Alive”. I have a feeling that’ll be playing in my head the rest of the day now, lol.

Thanks for sharing your word Julie and Happy New Year!!!!

Leafy Julie

Thank you dear Leafy Julie, my friend, for sharing this. I always enjoy what you write, and it makes me think of so many things! I will have to e-mail you soon. God Bless ! xoxoxo

• Leafy—roller skating. Ohhhhhh, yes! I loved skating! And y’all met while skating! How romantic is that!

Dancing and growing up. Yeah, I sorta think it was frowned on in my church, but it wasn’t a no-no with my mother. Whew–that one slipped by her. 🙂

And your precious ballerina doll. I don’t think I had one. I had Crissy–with long red hair.

Loved the movie Dirty Dancing too. Wouldn’t it be neat if we could take ballet lessons? Even now? Especially now????!!!!!

Church and dancing–I’ve seen beautiful liturgical dancing–so pretty it takes your breath away. I can tell you know what I’m talking about. No, I didn’t see Bindi dancing. Maybe I can find it on Youtube. I’ll look.

Yep. I’m also talking about metaphorically dancing in life–with everything we do–a whole shift of my attitude–graceful and grace-filled and grateful.

Ah, ah, ah, ah Stayin’ Alive, Stayin’ Alive!

xoxoxoxox

• Julie Gilleand says:

Crissy doll! I had to go look her up. I do remember her but can’t remember if I ever had one. Thanks for reminding me of her! I just sent you a link to the Bindi dance video. Very moving (no pun intended)! Yes, ballet — I think they should have some sort of excercise class for older people that is like ballet. I mean if they can do aerobics to disco music, why couldn’t there be exercise, ballet style?! Just dreaming here 🙂

• Julie,

Loved to roller skate in my pre-teen and teen years. My Uncle Horace was a very good skater and he would “dance” with me around the roller rink. It was great fun. I loved the feeling of freedom as we gracefully moved around the rink.

Remember….Dance like no one is looking. I am sure God will smile regardless.

• Me too, Judy!!! I loved skating!! And skating and dancing are a lot alike, aren’t they?!

I’ve even starting dancing (well, sort of) in my car while I”m driving. 🙂

9. Oh, Julie … so sweet and tender. I remember either having a jewelry box similar to that when I was little, or my sister did. I haven’t picked a word yet … but I’ll be thinking on it … maybe “Love” or I might even borrow yours. 😉 Thank you for praying for Texas. The family that I was praying for … their son, an 11th grader, must have found out I was asking about them … he commented on my blog yesterday. Blessed my heart so much. Tears fell. You know!! 😉

• Oh, I know, I know about those instantaneous tears. The best kind. Straight from your heart. Your precious post was on my heart so I added the request for prayers for your area.

Please share my word with me!! I’d love that! Would be so honored!!

So much love, my friend. Maybe your girls would like this post?

XOXO

10. I love the depression glass! And I love your word for the year. I love that you keep swtepping away from fear and into bravery and life. Life!

• I’m a slow learning, Flea, but I’m dancing my way there now!!!!!! Wo-hooo? How about you? Are you picking a word?

Thank you. XOXO Big hugs from rainy, rainy, rainy GA.

11. beautiful, Julie, just beautiful!! i never did or had a word for the year til this year—2015 has been FORWARD. for2016, Father gave me INHABIT! and guess what? I’m gonna be DANCING with you too!!

• Inhabit. What an interesting, lovely, intriguing word, Robin. I can tell–it came straight from His heart to yours.

And of course–feel free to borrow my word anytime the mood hits. We’ll dance together.

Which just gave me an idea. If I get really brave, I’ll have to post some pics….hmmmmmm….

12. marie says:

Inspiring post, Julie! Dance away!

Oh Julie, I don’t know where to begin! Just a few days ago it dawned on me that I didn’t yet have a word for 2016. So I began in earnest to read, think, pray… I made a list, as lots of words came to mind. Some I thought would be good words to have and some I didn’t really want, but nothing stood out as The One.

After a couple of days I began to panic, “How am I going to know what my word is Lord? Nothing feels right.” Last night I went to bed thinking, it can’t possibly be a word I’d like to have. I’ll know it when it’s one I really dread. (You know where this is going right?)

Reading your post, I had tears streaming down my face and I knew in the depths of me that my word is CREATE. Yep, a good one, not a dreaded one. God is telling me it is time to create again. I used to create in the kitchen, with stamps/cards/photos, with words… It mostly all got set aside when I went through my year long healing journey. I just didn’t have it in me, physically, mentally, emotionally, to create. So, I didn’t. And I didn’t really pick it back up again. But, I guess now it’s time.

I keep crying when I think about it. CREATE – A word I can look forward to! Wow!! Thank you God, Thank you Julie. 🙂 I’m so excited!!!

• Oh, Kim.

Kim.

Kim.

I’m thinking maybe God prompted me to write this just for you. What an honor–to know that something He brought to life inside my heart would stir you.

This just rocks my world!! Thank you for letting me know.

Create. I tell you what–is there a more wonderful word in all the world? He spoke, and Creation came into being. And He’s put that desire in you–to CREATE.

Now, my friend, I just can’t wait to hear all about where your word takes you in 2016.

Wo-hoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! You’re back in the saddle again. 🙂 Or maybe, holding a paintbrush again!! So happy for you~

14. Yes,yes,yes, Julie. Dance. And you do uplift us and help us dance, too. This spoke deeply to my heart today. Thank you.

• Love you, Beverly.

So grateful to you. Your encouragement means so much. You do the same for me with your writing. We’re in this together, aren’t we!

I prayed that God might give me a message through your writing today. I listen. I feel He has. Then again, I always get a message from your Wed. blog. Dance! I like that!

The message I get, for those of us that don’t have that as a talent, is, we don’t have to be the best dancer to dance, (or sing, or whatever) We can still take joy in dancing, and dancing in our lives. How freeing is that?! The song that comes to mind, is one I have held in my heart for years for my hope for my daughter– Leeann Womack singing ‘ I Hope You Dance’.. I had to get the CD out and am playing it as I write. I will think of you too as I listen to it, and each word in the song– my continuing wish for my daughter and now for you!

I don’t know what my word is for this year. In recent years I have learned to ‘surrender’.. leave it to God’s timing, and not put a time on it. It comes, sometimes slipping up on me. Joy has been a good word for me this year. There seems to be so much change, that I am thinking of the ‘new’. Birth/ the new born. Still have not had the nudge that that will be my word. I do hope to follow you and ‘dance’ and use the good stuff. Right now I have my good shoes on– the ones that are comfortable, but I have saved for times when I went somewhere… A small step but it is a beginning. Maybe ‘beginnings’ will be my word? As you see I am not pushing it, but my mind is thinking.

I am going to try to dance every chance I get, even when no one is around.
    I am looking forward to the journey with you dancing through the new year.

I have “The Dancer” music box? Really not a box, It is a ballet dancer and plays the song, which played a lot at the time my daughter was born. She twirls around as the music plays.

Note: My mind has been on all the weather damage over the past days. My heart has broken for those going through so much. So many prayers and prayers that continue.

Blessings for the new year!

• Julie Gilleand says:

Marci’a, that song you mentioned “I Hope You Dance” was what was playing in my head as I read this blog (until “Stayin’ Alive” set in, that is!) but I couldn’t remember the name of it! If you and I ever meet, will you go line dancing with me?!! I’ve always wanted to but never had the courage. You don’t have to, but I think it would be a hoot!

• Now wouldn’t THAT be fun????!!!!!!!!

Yes, I think that would be a hoot, and a lot of fun! I confess, it would be a little out of my comfort zone, but that would be a good thing. My youngest brother (RIP), when he was 21 wanted us to go line dancing with him, but I was not brave enough back in the early 90s.

• Julie Gilleand says:

It would definitely be out of my comfort zone too but maybe together we could be brave! And we can do it in memory of your brother 🙂

• This is so precious, Marci’a. So gentle, just like you. And no–it doesn’t matter if we’re the world’s best dancer or singer or knitter or writer–when we’re doing it for His Glory.

I love “I Hope You Dance.” That songs gets me every time!

I’m so proud of you for wearing your good shoes. Maybe you can start wearing them a couple of times a week? Just walk around the house in them. Why not? I have Sour Patch Kids in depression glass. 🙂

Sending a great big hug. And am agreeing with you in prayer.

Thank you for your kind words. ‘I Hope You Dance”.. it makes me feel good that others also like that song and relate to the words. It shows what I so often say.. how connected we really all are.
        Yes, I do think I will wear the good shoes at least a couple of times a week, and use that as a stepping stone. Next, wear outfits that I have saved for special times. Or the good dishes, or whatever it is. I love your ideas.

• You’re on a roll, Marci’a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t stop!!!!!!!

Good dishes! Good outfits! Good shoes! Good soap! You’re worth it!

16. Love, love, love this. God sings over us and I love the picture of you dancing to His melodies!

Dance! I love it! Like you, I took dance when I was a little girl, in first grade and kindergarten, and I loved it. Then we moved to another state and we could not find a dance school. I was devastated. I replaced dance with baton twirling for a while, then piano, but there is something about dancing.

Been thinking about my new word. LISTEN was the 2015 word and I did find myself listening more than I used to. I listened more intently to my friends, parents, and spouse. Some of that I had forgotten. I have always been a good listener. Part of being an introvert, I guess, but I have sat and just listened to others conversations, not really eavesdropping, I guess, but just trying to get to know more about them. This year I also listened to God. Heard what He had to say when I was frustrated. impatient, scared, whiny. Most of the time, He pointed out something I really needed to hear—something I would have missed otherwise.

This week, I have been giving special consideration to my 2016 word. Nothing much was coming to mind. I wanted it to be profound, but I probably wanted it to be easy, Looking for a word that would be easy to follow–no special effort on my part. Still, I was coming up blank. I saw several friends had done a scientific Facebook test (as I like to call them) for their word for 2016. I thought “what the heck:”a and clicked. CHANGE. My word was change.

“Yuck!” Not the word for me. No sir. I wanted something different. Re did the test. CHANGE again.

Then I got to thinking. When I TRUSTED (2014) and LISTENED (20115), more often than not, I ended up changing my behavior, attitude, something. And those changes did not drag me kicking and screaming, either.

I could change. Rather than moan and groan about a situation, I can change my attitude about it. If I feel fat, I can change what I eat. If I don’t feel spiritually fed at a certain church, I can change my outlook—change churches.

Some folks may say that change is harder as one gets older. As in “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” I don’t completely agree. As I have gotten older, I have gotten to where I don’t stress so much about stuff as I once did. Heck, I have been known to go to work with no makeup on.

One of my favorite Michael Jackson songs is “Man in the Mirror,” which contains the line,. “I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways.” The song ends with Michael saying “Make that change,”

So CHANGE it is.

Happy New Year, Sweet Friend!

• Anna—-you got to twirl baton?!!! I think I’m a little bit jealous. :/ 🙂

Your 2015 word was jam-up, wasn’t it? You were always sharing little moments of Divine Listening. And I do the same thing about listening in to conversations–like in restaurants. So true–when we’re focusing on Listening, we Listen to God…even.

Anna, this is just beautiful, your word Change and your ideas. Something’s happening in your spirit. I can feel it. It’s a willingness. An openness. Seems like God’s up to something good. And I can’t wait to find out what happens. It takes courage to change and you’re saying, “Okay, Lord. I’m ready.”

XO

18. Wanda Rosseland says:

Julie darling,

Of Course you are supposed to take ballet lessons–now!

Go, Julie!

• Love this, Wanda. I saw the comment come through last night. First thing this morning at our porch party, I said to my husband, “I have this good friend named Wanda (Wendy Cowgirl) and she says I’m supposed to take ballet lessons.”

He just kept rocking. Then he nodded. 🙂

• Wanda Rosseland says:

It was like warm liquid gold dropped in my stomach and started expanding in bigger and bigger circles when I read, “then he nodded,” Jewels. Yes. It is right. And it is time for you to dance.
        To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. A time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance. So it is written by the hand of God. Amen

19. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your word! Dance is perfect for you!

My word for 2016 is success. I’ve had TRUST, COURAGE, and now it is time for SUCCESS. The dictionary tells us this: being successful means the achievement of desired visions and planned goals. I have desired visions. I have planned goals. I will achieve success in 2016.

And then I’ll DANCE! LOVE YOU!

• Ohhh, yes. I remember your Courage year. 🙂

I looooove Success!!!! And you are incredibly goal oriented and organized. You WILL achieve success in 2016.

Then you and I’ll go dancing. 🙂

Thank you for your years of cheering me on.

20. Beautiful post, Julie. My word is “rose,” a reminder of the sweet fragrance of a beautiful flower even when its thorns occasionally stick me. With a rainbow palette of colors (just like God’s children!) and a variety of growing habits (bush, shrub, tree, rambler) the rose reminds me of how each of us is gifted in different ways but all beautiful and all with something special to offer the world. Have a blessed New Year!

• Ohhhh, Mary Beth–ROSE is a beautiful idea. I’ve never heard of anyone choosing this, and I just love it. My mind is going wild with colorful roses and scents.

Soooo lovely~~

Thanks for sharing!

21. Mary says:

Maybe I should have chosen the word PROMPT because I am late posting to the blog this wee! LOL!

But seriously… I have been thinking about my word for the last couple of weeks, and I have chosen the word RELEASE.

Here’s how I chose this word: Worry has always been a challenge for me. When I get anxious, I feel like my whole being is clenching – my mind, my body, my soul! It is not how I want to be, and I’ve been working hard on changing my behavior. I emailed Julie a couple of weeks ago, and she mentioned that I might consider a word with an element of fun… and a day later, it came to me: RELEASE! I need to work on releasing my cares to God, but I also need to release my overly serious thoughts and have more fun! I see so many ways that I can apply this word to my life and grow in the coming year. As a matter of fact, Julie, I was blasting some tunes tonight while cooking dinner, and I was DANCING!!! Release is a beautiful thing.

Happy new year to all!
    Mary

• MARY! I LOVE it–Release. I’m feeling myself exhaling when I say that word. “Reeeeee-lease!”

Yes, you and me both! We’re going to dance and laugh and have more fun this year. Stop trying so hard. 🙂

And you were dancing while you cooked!!!

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

A++++++++++++

So proud of you~~~~~~

And I guess I’m a little proud of me too. 🙂 But not in a braggy way. In a grateful to God kind of way.

I think my word is JOURNEY. That word has come up about 10 times just in the last few days. I can think of lots of things it could mean but for now am just pondering. 🙂

23. JOURNEY. Yes. I like it–a lot. Every single thing is a journey. Life. Trusting. Hope. Love. Raising children. Marriage. Recovery (from any sort of habits/addictions/worry, etc.)

I really like it. And I drive a Dodge Journey. 🙂

And Journey starts with a “J.”

xoxoxox

24. Happy 2016!
    Have a blessed year ahead.

25. Julie,

Just joining the conversation. Came across your site this week.

I have never had an official word for the year. After reading about your word -dance – I really gave some thought and prayer to select my word for 2016. This promises to be a year of change, beginnings, and responsibilities. The word I believe will change the way I live my life beyond 2016 is PEACE. In 2016 I will seek to be peaceful regardless of the circumstances.

I love your word Dance. My Mother would dance with us each Saturday as a reward for completing our chores. She instilled the joy of dancing early in our lives. Fond memories. Smiling as I remember.

• Hey Judy,

So glad you stopped by. PEACE. I love it. Always present. Always there. And it blends in so beautifully with change, beginnings, and responsibilities, doesn’t it!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love this–your mother danced with you! What an amazing mom you had!! She taught you to rejoice, have fun, celebrate, relax, and really, to live!

Thank you. I loved reading your comment.

xoxoxoxo

Trackbacks

1. […] in love with my word for 2016, DANCE. I’ve been thinking about what it means to dance in life. With this idea twirling through my […]

2. […] DANCE. Why don’t you dance? […]

3. […] on some music, and tried a new fall recipe–Roasted Cauliflower Soup from Paleo Leap. I danced while I cut up my […]

4. […] thought my word for 2016–DANCE – meant I’d finally be Somebody. But dancing means moving in rhythm with […]

5. […] assumed my phrase for 2016–DANCE – meant I’d lastly be Any person. However dancing means residing in rhythm with […]

6. […] 2016 DANCE  […]