Friendship, Faith, and Feeling Fifteen Again

photo from Meghan Davidson https://flic.kr/p/eEBxML

“What’s wrong with us?” Robin, my BFF of 40 years said last week on the phone. “Why don’t we ever see each other?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “Friends do things together, don’t they? Like on the Hallmark Countdown to Christmas movies-they’re always drinking coffee and laughing and window shopping.”

Robin and I spend our days in the virtual world on computers. We’re bloggers/writers. Her amazing site is All Things Heart and Home.

“Let’s make a lunch date,” she said. “Have some Christmas cheer.”

“I’d love to! We could just meet at Starbucks if you’re–”

“Nope. Let’s go to Maggiano’s. They have an incredible gluten-free menu.” (Here’s a Maggiano’s restaurant review by Pretty Little Celiac.)

I was so excited, I nearly cried. “We can sit and talk!”

“Like real friends!”

Using a Christmas-red marker, I wrote the date on my calendar.

Thursday morning, we spotted each other in the parking lot, and ran and hugged like they do in the movies. She glanced at the crinkly lines near my eyes. “You haven’t aged a bit,” she said.

“Neither have you.”

Chatting nonstop, we felt fifteen again. We were so busy talking, we forgot to take pictures. Two bloggers forgetting to take pictures!

After lunch, we  weren’t ready to say goodbye, so we shopped. We bought the same kind of jeans. Same size. Not the same size as when we were 15. 🙂

At the counter, I pulled out my zippered pouch to pay.

“Where’s your wallet?” Robin said.

“It’s right here.”

“Julie, that’s not a wallet.” She showed me hers. Neatly organized. Butterscotch-colored leather. A hand-me-down from one of her daughters. “You need a real wallet.”

We laughed. “Why? I like keeping my credit cards in rubber-bands.”

At Starbucks, she handed me her cup of extra hot soy latte. “Here. Taste. It’s creamy-dreamy.”

“This is terrible. It’s so blah. Try my Sumatra.”

She took a tiny sip and made a face. “Tastes like an ashtray.”

“Today’s been so much fun,” I said. “We didn’t talk about our problems, did we?”

Which we could have.

Because we have problems.

“We’ve been too busy laughing,” she said.

We paused.

Watched shoppers stroll by.

“I think so, Jewels.”

I smiled all the way home, so very thankful for faith and friendship.

(photo from https://www.flickr.com/photos/ichigochan-/)

Do you have friends like Robin? Oh, I hope so.

Have you discovered living in the moment faith?

P.S. I don’t understand all the Facebook changes coming in January, but I’m not sure if I’ll still be able to share my blog links through FB. If you haven’t signed up to receive my posts through email, just insert your email address in the box at the top right corner and my blog posts will be delivered every Wednesday morning. Thank you!

Comments

1. Mike says:

HAHAHAHA! In ALL the best ways! “Like on
    the HALLMARK COUNT DOWN TO CHRISTMAS
    movies.” “With a Christmas-red marker I wrote
    the date on my calendar.”
    Your joy, anticipation, and excitement litery
    leapt of the ‘page’!

• And Mike, fathered this precious friend of mine. Thank you!! She’s something else, isn’t she! 🙂

2. Mike says:

That be ‘literally’ ^ there.

3. Melinda says:

I agree with Mike. Love this post but then again I love all your posts. So glad to hear you went and had lunch with a long time friend. I wish you would come to one of our classmates luncheons sometimes. I know we’d all love to see you. We could even go to Maggiano’s! I love being able to stay in touch with so many friends via facebook but nothing beats real live face time. Have a merry Christmas, Julie.

• Yes, yes, yes, Melinda. I will. Did y’all ever reschedule the last one? Maggiano’s was at Perimeter Mall. Ohhhh wowwwwwww. So good…. Would everybody drive that far? Of course, we don’t have to.

When’s the next lunch?????

xoxoxox

4. Julie, this was so encouraging. In this new location, I don’t have a “friend” I meet for lunch. But I do meet my mother often. This is the first time we’ve lived close to them … so we meet up once a week or every two weeks. And this is the first time I haven’t really had a “friend” outside of family to meet. It’s a new season, I suppose. And when we meet my mother for lunch, we laugh so much.

And I think it’s great you didn’t talk about problems … because somehow that always leads to some type of gossip, it seems. Doesn’t it? Seems like it. The good talk keeps it lighthearted and enjoyable. 🙂

• Shelli, I’m so glad you found this one encouraging! I was praying it wouldn’t come across as, “It’s wrong to talk about your problems/pray needs.” But this was some sort of new revelation Robin and I landed on at the very same time.

The problems will always be there, and the JOY in knowing we can go ahead and have fun and laugh–even though…..

That someone this honors God. Wow.

Wish you could’ve joined us. Since you’re a blogger/writer, you understand about sitting and staring at a computer all day. 🙂

So glad you have your mom to meet with!

Yep. You’re absolutely right. Talking about problems does lead to gossip!!

Hope you’re all healed from your surgery.

Thank you, my friend.

5. Two of my favorite ladies! I am thankful you two could get together! Blessings in your moments.

• Aww, thanks, Tom. And thanks for your writing. You nail every single post you write! Totally amazing!! Such a gift~

6. Very much enjoyed this. I could see the two of you in your special “Hallmark” moment. And as always, I love reading your posts. They’ve become a refuge from the constant demands. May you, Rick and our family have a most blessed, ridiculously wonderful, and very merry Christmas.

• Wow, Chuck. Thank you. Refuge…isn’t that a wonderful word. I can’t say it without pausing for a few seconds.

To be able to spread God’s refuge to others.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you. You know because you do the same thing.

I am bawling. “Maybe this is what faith means. Letting go of problems and living in the moment,” I said. SUCH POWERFUL WORDS. I have at least three friends who are dealing with heavy issues: the loss of a parent, the scary diagnosis of a parent, and the loss of a marriage. My spouse is dealing with the strain of a relationship with one of his brothers. All 4 of them have had their sad moments, but I have seen more of living in the moment. Excellent post as always. Love you

• Anna, I’m telling you–THIS IS HUGE FOR ME. And why, why, why haven’t I always known this??? What in the heck took me so long????????????????

Why did I think I had to carry them around my shoulders like a cement shawl????

Right now, I’m whispering a prayer for your friends and husband.

Hugs from Georgia

Hey Leafy Sister!

I have a BFF like that. When I first became a believer I prayed for a female Christian friend to fellowship with since so far I only had my brother to talk to which was nice, but you know, we girls need girl talk too! One Sunday, my brother had invited someone he’d met who worked at DQ who’d been searching for a church. Before I even knew who she was, I saw her walking down the aisle and instantly felt I knew her! We were introduced and we both thought each other seemed so familiar. We discovered that we’d both gone to the same elementary and Jr. High schools, but had been a grade apart. So we knew each other’s faces, but had never met! Even her name was familiar as she’d had lots of siblings in school too! We became the best of friends instantly and I knew God had answered my prayer. We did things together, shared everything. Prayed together and for each other. Dreamed of who we each might marry someday and cried together. Years later we each were expecting our second babies at the same time and they were born a month apart. But somewhere along the line, our lives took different directions and we grew more distant over time. Today, we rarely see or talk to each other, but when we do, it is just as if no time has passed since last time and just like you say — it’s like we are teenagers again and I love that. Over Thanksgiving I received a text from her wishing a Happy Thanksgiving “to my forever friend”. Like you guys, we always talk about why we never get together. We’ve never lived more than about 5 miles apart! We always end our phone conversations with “We’ll have to make a point to get together”, but we both know we probably won’t. I hope someday soon we really will! Thanks for sharing your story and your sweet day with your BFF and for how it prods me to go further than just words with mine 🙂

God bless!!

Other Leafy Julie

• Leafy Sis, Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! This is what I’m talking about. And the most amazing thing is, I really think God gives us these friendships that transcend time and space. You two could probably go out for coffee and jump right back into a good, long, REAL conversation.

Thanks so much for sharing this with our little group. Sounds sorta like a novel to me. 🙂

9. Oh how I’d love to crash your get together! I think you are both the greatest! There’s just nothing like time spent with good friends!

• Elizabeth, maybe in heaven we can this sort of thing–just see two friends talking and walk right over. Oh, how I’d love that.

You and Robin have so much in common. You’d just love each other!
      xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

10. “Live your moments, full,” I always say. Life is in the tiniest moments, all around us. We just have to slow, and shift our focus to being here, now. I love that you tied this to faith! Yes- its a beautiful perspective! I was so touched to read about your special day with Robin. The day, Robin and I met and got to hang out and be in the moment together, is one I’ll always treasure. Thank you for sharing with us!

• Vicky, I don’t know why it’s taken me so many years to finally GET this. But it was huge to connect faith with living in the moment.

I loved hearing about her visit to see you. She was so excited. Wish we three could go for coffee!! We wouldn’t even have to do a “real” lunch. Just coffee and laughing and talking and people watching.

XOXO

11. Love your post. Love your pic! I can’t believe we think kind of alike. Before I read your post, I did a blog post for next week on “Being ‘in the moment'” Funny, huh? Love that you and Robin met up and did girlie stuff. There’s nothing like being with friends! And I’ll take being a computer friend with you from states apart and seeing you when I can at GP workshops or conferences. For me, there’s nothing like taking full advantage and “being in the moment.”
    Hugs!

• And B.J. when we talk on the phone–the whole world slows down. We laugh and talk nitty-gritty, don’t we. There is simply no distance between our hearts.

Can’t wait to read your being in the moment post!

12. Love this post! The title grabbed me–I mean, who doesn’t want to feel 15 again??? And, of course, you didn’t let me down. 🙂

I love you and your blog. One day I’d love to drink coffee at a porch party. (Preferably when it’s not cold!–the coffee OR the weather!)

Christmas hugs your way!

• Ohhh, Vonda. Thank you. As I posted this, I hoped it wouldn’t come across like “don’t ever talk about your problems.”

Seriously. Coffee. You and me. One day before we get to heaven. We have lots to say–I just know it!

13. I love that you can do that with an old friend. All my childhood friends live in California. But I have new friends here in GA that I’ve had for over twenty, so to me they count. Friends don’t have to be old friends to be heart friends. You’re one of my heart friends, yet we only met about what, 8 years ago? Maybe more. Don’t ever let those friends disappear from your life. Do you remember the old girl scout song about friends?

Make new friends, but keep the old.
    One is silver and the other gold.

Every friend is a treasure, and I think God for each one!
    hugs, Jewels! Merry Christmas!

• Ohhh, yes, yes, Ane. I sung that song in girl scouts. Love it! And yes–you’re a gold friend, for sure.

You and I both know what you did (and do!) for me. You have the gift of faith. And encouragement. And bulldog perseverance.

So Much Love!

I am so glad, during this super busy time, that you and your BFF made time to get together and just “Be”.. how wonderful that is! How wonderful to have such a friend, to be able to spend time together and forget everything else, including all the pressures and problems. What a God given gift such friends are. There are those I still think about from when I was 15, but with moves, and no FB back in the 60s (oops am I dating myself? LOL) moving across country it was hard to stay in touch. However, in a “The Lord shall give us back the years the locus have eatten” way, He has blessed me with a Now Friend, and even though we live in different states, we are kindred spirits, and can lose track of time when on the phone. We have shared so much of our childhoods with each other that it is like we were actually there– and when I sent cards it is often of 2 little girls, Friends forever. No matter what is going on in our lives, we can always find something to laught about, and I can so totally ‘see’ us being best friends from childhood until now, if we had known each other then.

Oh how I thank you for this little “take me away” moment, in your blog. I needed it so much.
    This has been a difficult December with my father’s health, and praying.

I went into the church last week, and all the rooms, closets, shelves, were all gone, and some how that hit me- Nothing is there now but the hull. They should start working on it soon, but somehow I did not expect to see every room gone.

Thank you for the ray of light, I get and so many others from your Wed. blog.
    God bless you always!
    Marci’a

• Marci, yes, yes this is what I’m talking about. I love that phrase–a NOW friend. Sometimes I think women’s friendships are different than men’s. They’re vital to us…not sure about Rick and his men-friends.

I’m praying for you and yours. You’ll have to send me a pic of your restored church. You’ve been so faithful to stay with it–the whole restoration process. I can tell. It’s your JOY to do this, and you’re doing it “as unto the Lord.”

I’m always amazed and humbled with blog comments. I’m telling you–every single time I press “publish” my heart flips over and I have no idea if y’all can relate. Blogging means I have to let go and trust Him each week. And He’s been faithful.

I just can’t tell you how much it means to receive comments and connect heart-to-heart with each of my readers.

So much love, my friend.

15. K. Richardson says:

Yes, I have a friend like that. We have so much fun when we get together. Talking about refuge…our little country church called Hope Lutheran is located on the Sherburne Cty. National Wildlife Refuge so we say, “Come to the Refuge and find Hope.” A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, Julie!

• K, “refuge” is one of my all-time favorite words. It’s a wide, deep place of unconditional love.

I’m so glad you have a friend like Robin! They’re worth gold, aren’t they.

Your church sounds like heaven.

Merry Christmas to you. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

A prayer for those who grew up without that kind of friendships. My best friend from childhood was my mom, and my best friends from the past 30 years were my daughters. Now, I have Facebook friends. Hmmm… Oh, how thankful I am for my All-time Bestest Friend – My Jesus!!!!!

• Yes, Yes, Yes, Cathy–our All-time Bestest Friend. I love that. You’re so right!

and I’m with yo–whispering for those who didn’t grow up with a best friend.

So much love to you and yours today~~

I am so glad that you were able to spend a fun girls day out with Robin! I had no idea thatMaggiano’s had a GF menu.(): Thank you for the prayers for my Finals as they went very well!(: How many Hallmark movies have you watched? My old friend Shirley sent us the most beautiful packages and I peeked in one.(: Are you a traditional Christmas person or a modern christmas individual? What”s your fav thing about Christmas, aside from Jesus being born in a manger? Sending hugs your way.
    Hug from AZ,

• Hey Patricia! I was hoping you’d comment on this one. I thought about you while we ate at Maggiano’s. Is there one near you? It might just be THE BEST GF food I’ve ever eaten at a restaurant. We got baked ziti.

How many Hallmark Christmas movies? I’m not sure but every time we start watching one, my husband says, “We’ve already seen this one.” But then we keep watching it. 🙂

Soooooooooooooooo happy your finals went well. Do you have your grades yet? I bet you did beautifully.

I guess I’m a traditional Christmas person. I just found out that if you decorate in red and green you’re considered “old school.” 🙂

My favorite thing about Christmas? Very good question! It might be the power of what the songs do inside my heart. Yesterday I started tearing up driving down the road when I heard, “Christmas Cannon” by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. What’s your favorite part?

18. Sandra Walker says:

Excellent posts – last time and this one! I used to have friends like that but not any more. My daughter is in SC and even mother is gone now. Praying for someone to do something fun with again. Did find living in the moment with Jesus this holiday season. Would love to have a friend too

• Ohhhh, Sandra. Okay, I’m adding this to my prayer request list–a new friend for Sandra.

Praying for your daughter and your first Christmas w/out your mom.

So much love,