A Heart-Post from my Best Friend of 40 Years

I’m on vacation this week. It’s an honor to introduce Robin.

Hi Julie’s friends! I’m so excited to be visiting you today- I’m Robin and my blog is All Things Heart and Home!

Profile Picture 2014 Mike, who is known on my blog as The Husband, is my partner in projects. We are always busy making or remodeling something around the house 🙂 If you have a minute, I’d love for you to visit me sometime!

Julie and I have been best buds since the 9th grade and I love her heart as much as you do. Today I want to share a heart post while she’s enjoying some time at the beach!

***

furry friend

I woke early, just after three with thoughts clamoring loud for attention. When the coffee was ready I made my way out to the screen porch to have my quiet time. I think sometimes when God wants to talk to me, He coaxes me out of bed extra early. Five animals followed me to the porch, four pups and Reba-the-Cat. As we settled in under blankets, they fell asleep and I sipped coffee and listened for Him.

“Thank you that you have everything under your control…” I’m whispering my prayers when a tiny creature moves quick around the edge of the room towards that hole in the screen.

I’ve seen him before, this tiny thing, on another too-early morning. But that time he ran so fast toward his exit that I couldn’t be certain if he was a chipmunk or a mouse. That time I mildly freaked out and my sleepy pack of animals all jumped up and ran towards him.

Not this time though.

This time he scurried, but not entirely frantic-

This time the pups lifted their heads to see, but never even got up-

This time Reba-the-Cat stood and watched him disappear through the hole in the screen before folding her legs back underneath her and settling down.

“Sorry to bother you,” I told him as he made his exit.

Isn’t it strange that we’re almost accustomed to the little vermin, I thought. Leaning back into my comfy chair I heard:

What thoughts and habits barely make you look twice anymore?

The question came quiet to my thoughts but rang loud in my heart.

What is it in you that comes through the hole in the screen?

It was one of those God-Moments so I grabbed my journal and began making a list of things that are unwelcome but that I’ve become accustomed to…

~worry

~stress eating

~not exercising

~living on the computer

Those were some of the unwelcome vermin that are so familiar they seem like they belong in my life. I think the hole in the ‘screen’ comes from neglect. Neglecting to pray. Neglecting to read my Bible. Neglecting to worship with a group of people. It’s not that we have to do those things to be accepted or to be loved, but to neglect those things means there will be consequences, holes in the screen so to speak. And something unwanted will probably find it’s way in.

Father, help me to fix the hole in the screen…

Has there ever been a season in your life when you realized you were allowing unwelcome things to be the “norm”?

Sending love sweet friends

Thank you, Robin. What a treat.

Y’all, you’d love her blog. Such creativity! She’s been inspiring me for years–long before she started blogging.

Comments

1. What a pleasant surprise Robin. You know I love your heart and love it when you share it with us. I am so thankful for you and Julie and for your loving and supportive porch parties. I pray with you for God to reveal our holes and to use them to reveal Him. Blessings and heart my friend!

• Julie Garmon says:

I know, Tom. I love Robin’s heart too. Thank you for reading and encouraging us both! And keep writing!!

• Tom, there’s no telling where I’ll show up! 🙂 thanks so much for the prayers and I’m agreeing with you my friend~

Robin, this was lovely and really spoke to my heart this morning. I have a lot of those same holes in my own screen. We should pray for one another. Have a blessed day

• Julie Garmon says:

Anna, the older I get, the more I’m beginning to understand that people are just people, and we all have holed in our screens. So much love to you, my friend!!

• Thanks so much Anna, I’m always comforted a little when someone else understands the struggle. (I’m so happy to meet you!) ox

3. Excellent word, Robin. Very encouraging.

• Julie Garmon says:

Thanks, Chuck. Robin’s out of town too so I’m helping respond to out comments. She’s going to read everything soon. Thanks so much for reading and being such an encourager!!

• Chuck, thanks so much for taking time to reach out. Have a wonderful Sunday~

4. This word spoke to me, Robin. Thank you!

5. Heather says:

Just what I needed today! How I love you ladies! I couldn’t help but feel such love reading this and thinking about how God has blessed me with your friendship. When I was so lonely and feeling so isolated, I prayed that God would bless me with some celiac friends to lean on. In typical God fashion, He exceeded my expectations with celiac friends who live to serve Jesus. So grateful!!

• Julie Garmon says:

Heather, I feel the same way about you! You blessed us so much by inviting us into your home and heart, my friend! When I walked into your kitchen, it was as if I’d always known you.

So much love!!

• Heather, you are a delight! You’ve blessed me over and over again and I can’t thank you enough for introducing me to new friends who understand me! ox

Robin, Since we do have a hole in our screen, a very nice size hole at that- this caught my attention. I have for some time been telling my husband how we needed to fix the hole since a hen and mama cat both like to come through it, and that can be interesting. .. Wow, the thought that we too have holes in our screen that we let things come through. That was a lightbulb moment and cause to ponder, your question- then think of my own list. How nice that each of you are taking some time off, and as Robin wrote for this week and Julie you are responding, it makes me think of how we are all part of the Body of Christ… You two have put that in action. Thank you both. Blessings, Marci’a

7. Julie Garmon says:

Marci, beautiful response. And I so agree– just how the body of Christ should function. Thank you!! And you’re encouraging both Robin and me.

XO

I hope you are having a great vacation, Julie! I also hope that you had a great 4 th of July! I can hardly believe that it is July already(((((:. Saying prayers for you to have a safe trip home!
    Patricia (;

• Julie Garmon says:

Thanks, Patricia! It’s been great–even had a porch party by myself this morning when Rick and Thomas went fishing. Praying for your sociology class! Are you almost finished?

• Patricia Martin says:

Thanks for all the prayers, Julie, as they made the last part of my Sociology class great and thanks to all the prayers I received an A and had a great experience!
        Xoox

• Julie Garmon says:

Patricia, that’s wonderful!! Squealing in the car on the way home from vacay!!’

9. Miss Julie, and Miss Robin- such a lovely surprise to read this evening. I’m late to the party, but I am here! I’m always struck, by how Robin’s God moments, are so tangible and real. I believe I’ll be looking at screens in a “whole” different light. We have what seems to be a tunnel running below our concrete patio and I blocked it the other day when I saw a mouse run out from it. I wonder if we don’t also “close” off so quickly to what may be trying to come through? So much to ponder! So thankful for the both of you. Blessings and love to you 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful vacation Julie!

• Julie Garmon says:

Eeek, Vicky!! I jumped when I read about your mouse as we’re headed to the grocery on vacay!! So glad you joined the party

• Vicky, ohhhhhh yes! I do so often have a knee jerk reaction to close off to opportunities (that are out of my comfort zone), to social situations (out of my comfort zone)…this is a whole different aspect worth pondering my precious friend! ox

10. Ah, the hole in the screen. No matter how much I patch it up, it seems to flap open again and again. Seems that’s what I have good friends for, to share the foibles of life and the rebuilding of the patches. Thanks, Robin, for the reminder, and thanks, Julie, for sharing Robin with us.
    Hugs to you both.

• Julie Garmon says:

Beautiful point…as always , BJ— and you’re one of my screen patchers.

miss you!!

• BJ- how I love that: ” rebuilding the patches” …yes our sweet friends help us rebuild the patches. Isn’t God good to give us such grace through people? I’m so happy to meet you BJ, I’ve heard so much about you 🙂 ox

11. Hole in the screen. Wow! What a concept- small, innocuous- thinking I don’t have time or even need to deal with it. I stress eat- always have- hope I won’t always. This July, I started a new journey eating Whole Foods Only. Wow- talk about trying to patch the hole in my screen. I didn’t realize how many times “comfort food” poked it’s ugly head into my life. Only by fixing this hole- with God’s help- 🙂 have I been able to stop that intruder. It amazes me that such even a little “window” of opportunity can allow things into our lives that aren’t healthy or helpful. Thanks for the wisdom and insight! hugs

• I love your thoughts, Cindy!! Isn’t Robin wonderful?

Guess what we just started doing? I bought a Nutri-bullet a couple of weeks ago and we’ve started our mornings (but not on vacation!) drinking fruits and veggies. Seems to be a good thing. At least a healthy thing–one small change that might make a big difference.

Thanks for reading and commenting. 🙂

So much love!

• Cindy, ohhhh me tooo! I have such an issue with this! I’m grasping onto your intention to eat whole foods…way to go! Thank you for sharing – we’re not alone in our struggles are we? xo

12. It’s hard to come by educated people on this subject, but you
    sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks