Stupid Days … Stupid Ways

You’re either going to understand this post, or you’re going to think I’m nuts.

Do you ever have days when your mind wanders–when you’re so preoccupied, you lose track of time and space and do a bunch of stupid stuff?

Please say yes.

That happened to me last week.

Tuesday morning, I made my husband’s lunch for work. He texted me with this picture. “Should there be something else here?”

That afternoon, I ran errands and forgot I’d left the water dripping on the ferns. I came home to a flooded front porch. Here’s the rug after it dried. Well, almost.

Later, I went to pick up clothes from the dry cleaners. I walked into the shop and everything looked different.

It was as though I’d entered The Twilight Zone.

I didn’t know where I was. Didn’t recognize the place.

I glanced to the left.

Okay, this is creepy.

A week earlier, I’d stood behind a black curtain in that very corner to put on a pair of pants.

I left them here to be hemmed.

Now there was no curtain.

Nothing looks familiar, but I can’t be crazy because I have a little green ticket to pick up my pants.

Standing in line it hit me.

I’d tried a new dry cleaners. And this wasn’t it.

I excused myself an ran out the door.

Three stupid things today, God. What’s going on?

It seemed His gentle Spirit said:

Slow down.

Focus.

You can lose your way spiritually too.

Sometimes Your mind leaves the Light of My Presence and takes off into dark places.

For you, those places are Fear and Doubt.

Stay close to me, child.

Guard your thoughts.

Maybe it wasn’t such a stupid day after all.

Can you relate?

Comments

1. anna haney says:

Wow. This happens more often than I would like. But its nice to know I’m not in this alone. Not that I ever was, mind you, but it helps to know God is putting us all in similar situations. Some might say its our age. I like your response far better. Slow me down, Lord. Help me to TRUST You. Thanks sweet friend. Have a wonderful day.

• Such a lovely, response, Anna. It ALWAYS helps to realize, “Hey, I’m not the only one who does this!!!”

Love you, my friend. Happy Almost Weekend!

2. YES! I can totally relate. I think my favorite thing was the one with Ricky’s lunch! I might just try that w/ Mike to see if he notices! 🙂
    Love the candle…it tells the secret of all the mornings you’ve slowed and focused on Him during quiet time…xo

• Robin, Jennifer said, “Okay, Julie, this is a little scary. Do you think something else is going on?”

But, I guess I won’t poke the bear. 🙂 Am leaving that little worry alone.

XOXOXOX

I can totally relate. Rick at least got bread. 🙂 My husband asked if he had done something wrong because he got a lunch minus any sandwich! (And while I am at it I may as well confess it has happened twice no less! Ha!) Days like that do tend to have multiple blunders.
    I love this: Sometimes Your mind leaves the Light of My Presence and takes off into dark places. That is so true! I need to keep my eyes on Him.
    Thank you for sharing, Julie.

• Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Kim, you’ve done it twice!!! I love it!!!!! And you’re right–once we start having a day like this, it just snowballs.

Thank you for writing to me, and to everyone reading. Just makes me smile to know other people do this sort of….bizarre behavior. 🙂

4. YES, YES..double YES. I can scare myself with my lostness. Yet, as you stated here, and I experienced this morning in my time with Him, I need Him to lead me. I lead myself into some crazy places and I am so thankful He is in all of our craziness. The crazier we are the more we come to know our need and reliance on Him. We are lost without him. We can’t trust the little green ticket but we can trust Him:) Thanks for your humbleness to let us know that even our craziness can bring us to His light!

• Love it, Tom. “He is in all our craziness.” If not, whew. Where would we end up?!

Amen–can’t trust the little green ticket. Only Him.

Thank you.

5. Pat Garczynski says:

Even though we love Forrest Gump’s “Stupid is as stupid does,” you are not stupid! Obviously, your mind & heart were PREOCCUPIED with other matters!

6. Can I relate? You bet I can! Like when I ran over my car keys while driving my hubby’s car out of the garage and the keys stuck straight into my tire, causing it to go flat. Huh? How in the heck did I do THAT! Probably couldn’t do it again if I tried. Or losing my cell phone and praying hard to find it when …. voila! …. there it was in the bushes on the side of the house.

Oh, man. Can I relate. Glad to know I’m not the only one who does crazy things. LOVE YOU!

• Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that’s right. The car keys. That’s why I love, you, B.J. Well, part of why I love you. 🙂 And your phone. I feel much better. 🙂

love you right back. XOXOXOXO

7. Georgia says:

Hi, Julie! Yes I can certainly relate. Feeling very overwhelmed today with my job. Thank you the words you shared that are in red….. I have printed them out and they are going in my book where I keep readings and such that remind me that our Father is there for us. Thank you for sharing your real life with us! Georgia from New Bern NC

• Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Georgia. You’re printing out the words. Makes my eyes tear up.

Thank you, Lord. All You…Your Glory.

xoxox Georgia. Hugging you from here.

8. Thank you for making me feel better that I’m not the only one who is distracted and zany! But thank you more for putting your finger on the solution! Your sweet words helped me see I need to give myself permission to slow down. Slow down, focus, prioritize, keep 1st things first- especially when it comes to learning to live in our Abba’s presence! hugs Julie

• I know, Cindy. Sometimes the answers are much simpler than I make them.

Just to slow down.

First things First.

Eyes on Him.

9. I’m trying to give up multi-tasking. That’s usually what takes me down those dark roads of absent mindedness. Such a challenge because it’s been such a way of life. This post definitely resonated with me today, Julie.

• Thank you, Beverly…Give up multi-tasking? That’s huge. Huge. Huge. Huge.

Never considered it. Hmmmm. Definitely worth thinking about. Could I do it? Let me know how it goes.

XO

Oh, how very good this one is. I like your advice. The words you wrote in red, are some I’ll copy and keep as a reminder. Yes, I do relate. I guess in the modern world we are groomed to multi-task. I, like Beverly V, am trying to ween myself away from it. We can be in the moment so much better when our mind is not going 3 different directions. (Like popcorn), When you posted about giving Rick just bread for his sandwich,.. the same day, I had a complaint from Chas about his sandwich. I had forgot one of the pieces of lunch meat. The world has a way of pulling us in different directions, but if we can have that centering that the Lord can give, .. we know things will be alright. Thank you for your writings and for how they make me think.

• Just makes me smile from deep inside to know you’re printing out these words, Marci.

That’s it exactly. I had popcorn-brain. Nonstop thoughts, things to do, places to go, sandwiches to make. 🙂

You’re exactly right. The kind of centering we need, only the Lord can give.

Thank you for letting me know His Spirit works through my writing. Means more than you know….xoxoxoxxo

11. Did you REALLY forget to put the meat in his sandwich? ROFLOL!!! But yeah, I’ve had days like that. I’ve gone to the grocery store for eggs and came home with two bags full of groceries and no eggs. Once, in a rain storm, we ran into a sushi restaurant. Turned out it was a dojo not a sushi restaurant. Talk abotu embarrassed!

• Yes, Ane. I wouldn’t pretend with the meatless sandwich. :/

Okay, I gotta google dojo. Not sure what kind of place that is!

You always make me laugh, my friend. That’s why I love you!

So funnnny, Julie! ((((((((; I remember when my family went out to eat and ended up spending a half hour arguing over where to go as we drove round and round in a circle- I think we wound up eating at our hotel after all Lol! I am so glad God knows right where to find us and even though we forget things, God never forgets us!(:
    Hope you are having a great week!

• That’s it exactly, Patricia! Last Tuesday, I spent my day (and my thought-life) going around and around.

True, my friend. He never loses us. Forget us. Puts us in the wrong place.

Thanks so much for letting me know you’re reading.

XOXO

13. Shelley Elaine says:

Ah, yes, sadly I, too, can relate-all to often, I’m afraid. Your honesty is REFRESHING and I have so enjoyed seeing that we aren’t the only two 😉

• 🙂 🙂 🙂 Thank you, Shelley. Letting go and being real …. well, it took me a while. But, wow, I wouldn’t go back for anything!

So glad you understand!

14. Ruth says:

Oh yeah, been there too. During a really busy time last fall ( we were moving), I left the water running in the bathroom & in the kitchen at work. How can I not turn off the water???? I love your God thoughts – reminding us to stay focused on Him. And LOVE how you share yourself with us all – the good and the bad. I can just imagine your surprised husband after he took a bite of his sandwich – LOL!!!

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Ruth. Thanks for telling me. 🙂 I’m smiling. 🙂 🙂

And thanks for your kind words about my writing. Means so much. Reminds me to keep going to Him for my strength–even my writing b/c I can’t do it on my own.

Yeah, I asked my husband if he ate the whole sandwich. He just looked at me. He didn’t. He threw it away. 🙁 I can’t imagine why.

15. Norma Harris says:

Julie, You are awesome!!!!!!! YES, YES, YES, I can relate to your blog today. I look forward to your weekly blog. PLEASE. Don’t ever stop. Norma

• Whew, Norma. I’m so glad. 🙂 It’s nice to discover there are other people out there like me!!

And thanks also for the encouragement.

Blessings to you and yours today!

16. Oh goodness- yes I can relate! I showed up last Tuesday for my meeting at the clinic, so proud that I’d remembered and gotten there on time. But at quarter past the start time, when no one else was showing up I realized- I had the wrong date! We do get so caught up running from one thing to the next we simply forget to stay present and focused- with our eyes turned to Him. Thankful you shared this with us!!

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! We are Kindred Sisters, Vicky!!

Reading your blog always reminds me to keep my focus on Him.

Love you, my friend. And I so appreciate your gifts.

17. Sandra Walker says:

Focus was my word a couple of years ago. Still have to remember to stay focused. Some days are harder than others as the “Senior Moments” happen more often! I’m learning to RE-focus and keep going, keep putting one foot in front of the other. Nevertheless!

• Yes, Focus, Focus, Focus. Love it, Sandra!

You know, my mother wrote a book with the title, “The Nevertheless Principle.” 🙂

Hugs this Sunday afternoon. Thanks for letting me know you understand~~~

18. Tricia says:

Can I just say I laughed at this?Sometimes God injects humor into our lives & it’s good medicine. Thanks for sharing your blunders,Julie!