To Love Again

Since our daughter Jamie’s been a little girl, she’s been a cat person. But for the past few months, she’s been thinking about getting a dog. Maybe a German shepherd or a Siberian husky, she said.

Peel back a layer of Jamie’s heart and soul…

She’s been hurt. She’s afraid to love again.

Maybe you’ve been there too.

Jamie and I don’t talk about it a lot. It’s one of those things a mother ponders in her heart.

Back to the story.

Last week, Jamie went to an animal shelter with Brittany, our son’s girlfriend. Remember, Brittany took those amazing pictures of Kitty Thelma?

When Jamie saw Jax sitting in his cage, something happened. An electric shock zapped her heart.

Powerful.

Unexpected.

Jamie fell in love.

She called me from the shelter. “Mom, there’s something about this dog. I can’t forget his eyes.”

They volunteers said Jax didn’t bark nonstop like the other dogs. He was quiet. Gentle. Submissive.

Maybe he’d given up hope.

Jax didn’t have many days left…

He wasn’t a purebred.

Others had overlooked him.

But Jamie knew Jax was her dog.

Friday morning, Jamie and Brittany got him out of jail and took him to Petsmart. Bought him a leash and collar–everything a fine dog needs.

Guess what else? Brittany trains dogs. She kept him over the weekend and worked with him. Saturday night, my husband and I met our granddog.

Brittany, Jax, and me…

I have a feeling Jax wasn’t the only one rescued.

When God nudges you to take the risk and love again, two hearts are set free.

Jamie and Jax.

Comments

1. Just wow Julie. Just wow. LOVE

2. Thanks, Tom. If I can feel it in my heart, I can usually write it. It’s when I have to use my brain to plot things out that I get stuck. 🙂

3. Michelle Vancil says:

What a perfect way to open your heart again! Unlike humans, who can be very fickle, the love of a pet is unconditional. They are always happy to see you, lend an ear when needed, and uplift you when you’re at the end of your rope. God, in His infinite wisdom, knows whom to place on our path and always, at the perfect time. How comforting is that?!!

Such sweet pictures, Julie.(: I am glad for your daughter-now she has a cute and cuddly new friend! Sending hugs your way.

I do not believe in reincarnation, but Jax looks so much like Bear, the dog I adopted for my parents in 1999 when Lucy, their beloved dachshund had died. Daddy had just retired and Bear turned out to be a angel in disguise. He was smart, charming, loving, the best dog our family has ever had. He died in 2011 and I know Momma and Daddy miss him terribly, but they are afraid to get another dog. I know a lot of that has to do with my mother’s health, but I know that God has a dog out there for them. I also wish my hubby was more of a dog person. I truly believe He gave dogs such special gifts. They help the blind, the handicapped, soldiers with PTSD, children. And like Our Father, they love us unconditionally. Thank you for sharing this.

• You’re so right, Anna! And they’re so smart. I’ve read dogs can even sniff out melanoma skin cancer.

Hmmmm, wonder what kind of dog your husband might fall in love with.

So glad I got to bring you a Bear look-alike story!

Thanks for always reading, and letting me know. XOXOXOXOXO

6. This really touched me, Julie. I am an animal lover and those eyes would of gotten me too. I am so happy for your daughter, that she has a friend to open her heart to. God knows just what we need! Hugs!

• Thank you, Eileen. It’s a deep connection between animals and humans, and yes, I believe God can bring healing that way! For sure!

7. Wow…..a true rescue on both sides. Jax’s eyes are riveting. Brittany’s smile is infectious. You can see the love all around them both. Tell Brittany she’s very special for rescuing a dog in need. Hugs!

• I know, B.J. You and Brittany would just adore each other. You both have the same heart for animals. And you both understand how they think. 🙂

Thank you, my friend. Praying for your conference!

8. Terri Reutter says:

Thanks for this, Julie. All my dogs have been rescues, and I often ask God who rescued who (but, truthfully, I know!) seeing the change in Jax in response to your daughter’s love is a powerful statement about what love and care can do for all of us.

• Amen, Terri! …..what love and care can do for all of us.

I can tell…Jax is already touching Jamie’s heart.

Thank you so much for reading and writing! XOXOX

I always get so much from your blogs! They can touch me so much.
    Praises for God leading your daughter to her “soul” pet/ new family member.
    How well I relate. My daughter, the Vet has done many rescues, and some, she still has years later.
    I relate to a daughter who has had her heart broken, As some one told me a few months ago- We are only as happy as our least happy child. And how I relate to that. We can feel every pain they go through.. its a mother thing.
    I am so glad for your daughter’s find. God lead. I will pray for them as I pray here – may his life be long, and healthy, may he be blessed by your daughter, and your daughter be blessed by him– which it seems is already very true. May this be just the healing she needs. God Bless!

• Marci, what a beautiful, beautiful response. Just sitting here sipping my coffee and nodding along with your words.

And haven’t all of us had a broken heart? We tend to want to shut down, say, I’ll never love again….

Thank you, and blessings to you and yours–love what your daughter does! Such a gift.

10. Margaret says:

may Jax have a long healthy and happy life with Jamie!

Margaret

11. Kathryn says:

So glad for Jamie and for the dog. How wonderful! I often wonder if these dogs could talk, what would they say? I feel so sorry for them. They have such a hopeful look in their eyes. Heartbreaking when they get passed by. Once again, so much happiness for Jamie and Jax!

• So true, Kathryn! My mother is HUGE animal lover. She says she knows what animals are thinking–and probably loves animals better than people.

Thank you, thank you, for reading and writing to me. Means so much!!

Hugs~

Hi Julie,
    I was wondering if you could please pray and ask everyone you know to pray for my sister, Maddy. She may need a serious back surgery and my family just found out this news today. Thank you.

Thank you, Julie!