So Much More Than a Pair of Shoes

Have you ever opened a present and had a deep understanding pass through you? This is about so much more than the gift. That happened to me Saturday. Mother gave me a pair of beautiful sandals for my birthday. “Buying you these shoes is one of the scariest things I’ve ever done,” she said. “You know how I feel about blue.”

She hates blue.

“I tried on dozens of pairs to make sure they’d fit you.”

We both have long, skinny, hard to fit feet. I imagined her surrounded by an ocean of blue shoes, running the saleslady ragged.

“I can’t believe you bought them. They’re the prettiest shoes I’ve ever had. Like Cinderella’s slippers.”

“Actually, they’re azure blue. This color’s in this year.”

My daughter Katie was with us. Remember how she knows fashion? “Nanny’s right.” Katie paused. “Mom, um, you probably don’t know how nice these sandals are. They’re MICHAEL KORS.”

I had no clue what that meant.

“It means they’re nice,” Mother said. “Reminds me of when I was thirteen. I found the most wonderful shoes. Black leather, but not shiny leather. They were so expensive I knew I could never have any, but your grandmother bought them for me. They were magical shoes–ballerinas with a thin strap across my foot. My feet didn’t look like hotdogs in them. I loved them so much, I slept in them. I never forgot those shoes.”

An understanding passed between us–quick as hummingbird wings.

Listen intently to those you love.

Give with your heart.

A lifetime passes so fast–long before we’re ready.

Have you ever received a gift like my Cinderella slippers?

If you’d like to donate to the RED CROSS  or SALVATION ARMY  to help Oklahoma tornado victims, our love gifts might become Cinderella slippers for those with no shoes.

Comments

1. Pat Garczynski says:

“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring Good News….” Isaiah 52:7 P.S. I love your Mom’s “I slept in them.”

Crying again! This is beautiful! Touched my heart so much. Made me think of my mom. Love the way your pedicure matches your shoes!

• Anna, I thought about you as I posted this. My pedicure–Mom bought me the polish and I painted my toes myself! 🙂

3. Georgia says:

Your new sandels are gorgeous! And — special in that your mom bought them for you and shared a wonderful memories of hers to go with it. Trying to keep my mascara from running after reading that one. LOL

• Georgia says:

Oops – sorry about that I should have typed “memory” instead of “memories”. Good grief!

• Georgia, it means SO much to know that my words, memories, and thoughts touch hearts.

That’s why I do what I do! Your tears are so precious.

Thank you!

4. I guess I just don’t understand how anybody can hate blue… 😉

Yes, gifts from mothers are so much more than the gift itself. They almost always bless you on another level, or even two. I love that your polish mirrors those beautiful sandals.

(My feet are the opposite of yours — duck feet. You know, it’s hard finding square shoes these days…)

• I’m laughing, Melody. Duck feet! And I have hotdog feet. Quite a pair, we are.

I know–for years, I’ve heard how much my mother hated blue. I don’t get it either???

My polish, she bought that too. And I painted my own toenails. 🙂

Thank you, my friend. Always love reading your comments.

5. Ahhh…how much your mother loves you to give you BLUE shoes!

6. Your sandals are beautiful, Julie! I love how your nail polish matches your shoes. 🙂 Gifts given by those who we hold dear in our hearts always mean so much more than just the gift. And, when the moment shared can bring about another cherished memory, how much more that gift means!

My Mom and I share your foot problem too. We have always had a hard time finding shoes that will fit our long, narrow feet. And, it is the reason that I dislike shoe shopping so much! 🙂

• Ohhhh, Eileen. I love it! You understand our feet. You’re one of us!!

Not sure if you read the other comments, but Mom bought me the polish too. I should have put that in the blog. And I quickly painted my toes myself!

The older I get, the more easily I cry. These shoes brought happy tears.

XOXO

7. What a special gift! Love the love behind the gift! And how pretty they look on your feet, especially with the blue nail polish! You’re really “stepping out!”

Love your beautiful blue sandals! You are so blessed to have a mother who knows you so well and and loves to bless you. 🙂

9. love the shoes and your toes!!! And so meaningful that MBWA got them for you…
    I have a gift like that Julie, it was 28 years ago, I had 2 babies and was 9 months pregnant and my husband had just left me. You showed up at my door with this gorgeous present. It was “the blue gown I needed”. It made me feel wrapped in warmth and love and not alone. Have I said thank you for that lately? 🙂 xoxo

10. Ohhh, Robin. It WAS blue, wasn’t it.

Tearing up right now….remembering. When we give from our hearts, it must come straight from Him.

Love you forever.

11. Sandra Walker says:

My eye is better so I could read this today!!! Yes, I’ve had gifts like that. This is the best one ever!!!

• So glad you’re recovering, Sandra! Eyesight. What a gift. And thanks for reading, commenting, and encouraging me!

12. Absolutely the best sandals ever! Your Mama has wonderful taste!

13. Mary Ann says:

I was surprised to read Rick’s “50 and Lovin’ It!?” article in the June Guideposts – Wow! the whole family is now contributing to Guideposts ~ I think that’s wonderful.

Tell him Happy 50th Birthday and many more ~ I’m enjoying your blogs also ~ really enjoyed seeing your table set ~ it was beautiful ~ and to see Marion ~ she looks great!!

14. Thank you, Mary Ann. I’ll pass along your kind words to Mother. 🙂 Blessings to you and yours–means so much to hear from readers!! xoxo

Beautiful sandals and toes! Reminded me of when I was a little girl and my mom told me she would buy me any color nail polish I wanted if I would just stop biting my fingernails. I wanted blue, but they didn’t make blue back then. She remembered and gave me a bottle years later when I was in high school. I hadn’t even remembered but loved that bottle of polish until it was gone!

• Kim, that is EXACTLY what I’m talking out–a gift that you never forget. Can’t believe your polish was blue too!

You’ve got to go get some more. This is made by Essie and came from Target.

I love your mom–she sounds like such a sweetheart.

16. Your long, skinny feet have to be better than my short fat ones with sausage toes. Just sayin’. 🙂