This One’s for You, Daddy

The other night, I walked down our long gravel driveway, just walking and thinking. My husband had some of our 70’s music on in the garage. Coming up the driveway, I heard Stevie Nicks singing “Landslide.” Ohhhh, that song! It came out almost 40 years ago and still moves me.

I had a feeling God had a message for me. That song wouldn’t let go.

Stevie sings about seasons changing, children getting older, and herself getting older.

I know how you feel, Stevie.

I touched the hard knot of a closed bud. The tail-end of winter hanging on tight.

Seasons of my life flashed through my thoughts. Leaving for our honeymoon at 18 and 19.

The births of our babies.

Being a mama of little children. Piano lessons. A thousand ball games. Raising teenagers. Proms. A daughter’s wedding.

And then Stevie’s strong clear words wrapped around my heart.

She asks herself, “Can I handle the seasons of my life?”

Years ago, I would’ve answered her question like this. “Yes, of course. I have everything under control.”

But life caught up with me.

Landslides brought me down. Just like Stevie.

Difficult seasons taught me I can’t make it without God.

I came inside and found Stevie’s “Landslide” video. This time I heard her softly spoken words at the beginning of the song. “This one’s for you, Daddy,” she says, dedicating the song to her father.

The message slipped into my heart.

Gratitude for landslides. They brought me to my knees.

This one’s for You, Daddy. My life is Yours.

Have tough seasons brought you to your knees?

Comments

1. oh my Julie…these words are powerful, finding beauty in the landslides…the hard seasons.
    Divine~
    R

Oh, wow. I never really paid attention to this song before. Never was a big Stevie Nicks fan. I have heard her “this one’s for you. Daddy” line and it made me smile, but I, being a Daddy’s girl, was thinking more of my earthly father than my Heavenly one. You have put this in a whole new context. One of my dearest friends lost her grandfather in the wee small hours this morning and I have had her on my mind. So now my tears are flowing. This landslide she is in has, for the moment, brought her down. But since she is so close to her Heavenly Daddy, she will bounce back. Thank you dear Julie. Much love

• Dear Anna. So I made you cry today. 🙁 Sounds like your tears were close to the surface. I’m so sorry about your friend’s grandfather.

Heavenly Daddy. Love how you put those two words together. My whole message from this post!

Love you right back!

3. Sharon D. Richter says:

Beautiful….I remember when your father passed away. I love the pictures…. This song does make you think about all of those stages. Lovely, Jewels, thank you….

• Thank you, thank you, Sharon. Can’t believe you remember my daddy dying. 1983. Means a lot that you knew me way back when….xoxo

4. Oh Julie, how wonderful. Thank you for reminding me of the song and reminding me that our Heavenly Father is always with us.

Love you, precious friend!

• You’re so welcome, Lisa. I LOVE it when God gets my attention through unexpected ways. So glad this song grabbed your heart like it did mine. XOXO

5. Seasons. Change. I get older. Life gets older. But God’s love is all around. And when I fall to my knees…when a landslide crumples me…God is there with me often in the form of wonderful friends, like you, who sustain me, who listen to me, who then lift me. Thank you for the lovely song to remind me.

• You’re so right. He’s there inside our friends. Thank you–you’ve listened to me through some landslides. XOXO

6. Rita Smith says:

Beautiful, Julie.

7. O WOW, this is powerful. So thankful for the landslides that bring us to our knees! NOT during the landslides but looking upon the new landscape we can see the change in scenery just brought us closer to our heavenly daddy! Thank you Julie for taking us down memory lane and helping us remember who moves us to greater places. You have blessed us!

• Great point, Tom!! We don’t see the new landscape until AFTER the landslides…After everything crumbles around you. That’s when you emerge and see with new eyes.

Thanks!!

8. Sandra Walker says:

God has had me remembering for over a week now. Every sermon, devotion, etc. I have heard was “remember”! Our 43rd anniversary made me remember a lot of things, too. Also the fact that I celebrated 34 years as a believer last week. God has been good and faithful! Lots of landslides over the years! Have any brought me to my knees? I have been flat on my face for a good while now!!!

• Sandra, the longer I’m married, I know how precious those anniversaries are. Thrilled for you to be celebrating 43 years together–and 34 with God!

Oh the deep joys we experiences on when we’re flat on our face….love how you put it! xoxo

I don’t remember the Daddy line, but I sure do remember the song. Thanks for sharing, Julie, especially because I had a landslide just today. God bless 🙂

• Julie, praying for you right now. Those landslides aren’t always the most pleasant things—but oh, how they bring us to our Father.

Thank you for letting me know this touched your heart today.

Hugs from Georgia.

10. Thanks for sharing this Julie! I had never heard of this song before. I appreciate you sharing your heart, memories and song. It’s moving!

11. Nora, you’ve probably not heard this song because you’re younger than I am. 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and sending your sweet thoughts. Happy Easter, my friend!

12. fran says:

This song too, brings me to a bitter sweet memory of my Daddy! he has passed almost 5 years now
    and I somehow know that his love, and laughter is always with me! His birthday is September 24 born
    in 1928…..Daddy this one is for you! All our love your little girl, Alex , Alex & Brando we love you
    do much!

• Ohh, such a sweet note, Fran. Love it!! So much love in your heart, I can feel it.

XOXOXOXO

• fran says:

Thanks so much that means a lot to me….your a beautiful person to share this with us
        and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

• You’re the one, Fran! You were kind enough to let me know this post touched your heart. That’s why I write.

13. Amy l,alexander says:

I just came across your page by accident, i was looking up landslide with Stevies dedication to her Dad,
    i guess there are no accidents ,i was lead to your page:)
    My Dear ole’ Dad “as he referd to himself” & my brother & me also fondly refer to him has been gone 5 yrs now, i read a story about a lady who asked her Dad for a sign after he passed to know he was o.k & still in her life & she got it because she was open to recieve it & asked,
    so,,,i too even though it has been a few years asked yesterday before i went to bed, nothing earthshattering or spiritual happened until tonight i got in car thinking “i wonder if i’ll ever get my sign, at same time i turned radio on to hear landslide playing!!! if thats not validation of higher power at work i dont know what is! “thank you Julie “for this page so i could share my experience to help others keep the faith & know ‘your not alone”
    peace, Amy

• Ohhhh, Amy, thanks so much for writing and letting me know this post touched your heart. This is why I write–to share hope.

You made my day!!! And I’m so sorry about you having to say goodbye to your daddy. I did the same thing when I was 23–my father died of a brain tumor.

Hope you’ll come back and hang out with our little group of bloggy friends. I blog every Wednesday about relationships, life, joy, pain–just however I feel God moving in my world that week.

And I agree. No accidents.

Much love,

14. Your style is unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from.
    Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this page.

15. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He used to be totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not consider just how so much time I
    had spent for this information! Thanks!

16. magnificent points altogether, you simply won a new
    reader. What may you suggest in regards to your post that you made a few days ago?
    Any sure?

17. This piece of writing is genuinely a pleasant one it assists new net viewers, who are wishing for blogging.

18. Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant thinking, article is nice, thats why i have read it fully