Delight at the Dairy Queen–More on Marriage

It took me about thirty years to discover two things:
1. Getting along is much more fun than nitpicking.
2. Little things matter. A lot.
Good things happen when you stop nagging–like going to the Dairy Queen. After supper once or twice a week one of us says, “Want to go to the DQ?”
A DQ date night costs about $5, but it’s worth gold. For a few minutes, we’re teenagers again. We jump in the truck and head past the square to the DQ drive-through. I order a small chocolate shake or a hot fudge sundae with peanuts. Rick gets a mini Reece’s blizzard. We sit in the parking lot and eat and watch the cars go by. Sometimes we hold hands.

The other night, the sun set as we were waiting in line at the drive-through window–the most beautiful combination of popsicle purple and orange–colors that take your breath.

Heaven came down.

Glory filled the sky.

And the truck.

from http://www.allthingsheartandhome.com/T

The girl handed us our ice cream and smiled. “Have a blessed night.”

It is a blessed night. So very, very blessed.

From the rising of the sun to its setting the name of the Lord is to be praised. Ps. 113:3 NAS

Comments

1. What a beautiful sunset picture and beautiful story to go with it. I just love reading about your porch parties and now your DQ date nights too! Thanks for sharing and for some reason I have a hankering for a banana split! Maybe I can talk my husband into a trip to DQ some evening this week. It doesn’t take much to talk him into ice cream! And we thrive on those simple pleasures in the midst of such overwhelming struggles. They are truly God’s grace. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Julie says:

Thank you so much, Julie! I’m so glad you “get it.” What if you ate your banana split on your porch~~ wouldn’t that be a treat. Much love to you today.

2. Pat Garczynski says:

Hi Julie,
    I’m here in Denver visiting my three children and five grandchildren – my home-away-from Michigan-home! Love the DQ Blog, and once again you have picked the perfect scripture.
    Love, Pat
    P.S. Right now am at daughter Jenny’s 100-year old home in historic Park Hill. Guess what? She has a wonderful front porch, and I will be sharing your “Peace on the Porch.”

• Julie says:

Pat! How fun is that~~being on a porch with your family. Thank you so much for your sweet words. Once again, your encouragment blessed my day. So much love to you and yours~

3. What a fun thought — to have a date night out that costs only $5. Intimate moments watching God’s brilliant sunsets and sharing it with the one you love, well I’d say that is truly priceless! Thanks for sharing, Jewels!

• Julie says:

Hey, B.J. Thank you! You’re right. A $5 date night, but they’re priceless. xoxo!!

4. I love our Georgia sunsets. They really are spectacular. I’ll go out on our back deck and glory in the Lord’s artistry. 🙂

• Julie says:

I know, Ane. I’ve let myself miss too many of them. God’s splendor takes my breath away. Love you, my dear friend.

5. Because of you and Ricko we have DQ nights every Thursday…
    ok, the nit-picking…the longer you’ve been mearried & the older you are the more tempting this is. Haven’t you seen those older couples that are back and forth w/ each other? I DON’T want to be that way! You remind me that less nagging leaves room for good things-like quiet evenings and hot fudge sundaes!
    xoxoxoxoxo
    to the moon…

• Julie says:

Love how you said that, Robin. Less nagging leaves room for good things. So true!!

6. I love this posting, Jewels! Mark and I are still doing coffee together in bed nearly every morning. It’s a small detail in our day but it makes a BIG difference. The little things are the glue in a relationship I’ve learned. We also like chili cheese fries at A &W:)

• Julie says:

Cath, you and Mark have been having coffee together in bed since….well for a long time. It’s all in the details. Ohhhh, I’d love chli cheese fries. Hope they’re GF! xoxo