Dr. Marvin…Dr. Leo Marvin!

One of the things I love about my husband is his sense of humor. He’s laid back. Opposite of me. I tend to be a workaholic. Every morning we sit on the front porch for a few minutes and talk.

Our conversation from two Saturdays ago:

“What ‘cha doing today?” Rick said.

“Probably knock out a thousand or so words on my novel, work on some blogs, outline a story idea, catch up on emails–”

“Don’t you ever want to do nothing. Kick back. Relax.”

What kind of question is that? “Yeah, I guess.”

“Remember the movie What About Bob?” Rick sipped his coffee and watched a hummingbird flit toward the feeder.

“Oh, I get it. So you’re Dr. Leo Marvin and I’m Bob?”

“Something like that.”

I felt a smile starting. Imagining Bob, I see myself. Dr. Marvin gives Bob some wonderful advice. I love his response. He’s trying so hard to change.

My baby steps toward change:

1. No working after 5 p.m.

2. Do something fun every day.

3. Relax in the truth that my best is good enough.

4. Know that my best probably won’t be perfect, and that’s okay.

5. Remember that God loves me. He really, really loves me, even when I’m goofing off.

…I have loved you with an everlasting love…” Jeremiah 31:3 NAS

Thank you Dr. Leo Marvin and Rick.

Comments

1. Love this Julie! I too always feel something has to be done. Even when doing nothing there is the guilt that I should be doing something else. It had hit me this morning in Nehemiah when the people read the law in greater detail that they promises not to work every seventh year. Can you imagine? His law requires to take a year of jubilee every seven years where you don’t work and give your fields a rest? A YEAR/ A growing season.
    Thank you for sharing your list. I will be intentional and make some promises too.

• Julie says:

Oh, Tom. A Year of Jubilee. I think I remember that teaching somewhere. Good stuff. Have you written about it?

Here’s to front porches, laughing, and moments of jubilee!

2. Lynne Gentry says:

I’m guilty!!!!!

3. Baby Steps! What a concept! Another way (for me) of saying….one step at a time.

I especially love your #5. : ) God loves us whether we are frantically writing a chapter, furiously editing a book, practicing a workshop speech, or…sitting in a hammock swaying in the breeze, drinking a cup of coffee with a good friend, chatting about our thoughts and feelings and emotions. He loves us through it all. And maybe he smiles a little bit when we take a few moments of respite, for he knows the value in relaxation in order to gear up for the big pushes we often make.

Here’s to Baby Steps!

Hugs and love,
    B.J.

• Julie says:

Sometimes I wonder if maybe He doesn’t smile even bigger when we’re drinking a cup of coffee with a friend or sitting in a hammock. Thank you, B.J.

Baby Stepping my way through the day. 🙂

4. Oh, how I needed this…tonight as I’m still at the computer at midnight. Thanks for the nudge.

• Julie says:

Hope you slept well, Vonda. Thanks for commenting. 🙂

5. Sharon Richter says:

Really enjoyed this one, Julie! Love that movie too, so this really made me smile…Love you guys…..
    Sharon

• Julie says:

Thanks, Shar! I could watch that movie over and over–probably should! It’s good to laugh. 🙂 Love you too.

6. Baby steps!!!! Yes! I love this J…and so love Ricky!
    Baby steps today. I’m smiling but taking this as message from God…