From My Heart to My Toes

Last week I got a crazy idea.

Why don’t you try a new color on your toenails?

I’d never ventured from two basic toenail polish colors–something in the cinnamon family or Cherry Red. And always clear for my short fingernails.

Don’t be afraid to try new things.

But I have red hair. My choices are limited. No oranges. No pinks.

Let go. Live a little.

Toenail polish color shouldn’t have been such a big deal, but it was. I asked the young girl behind the counter at the nail salon which color she’d suggest. She studied the bottles of polish on the wall.

“I like this one for you.”

She chose hot pink. Neon pink.

“You’re kidding. I don’t wear pink. Especially hot pink.”

“You should try it.”

I handed the polish to my manicurist. She smiled. “Good color.”

As I put my feet into the warm bubbles, she took a phone call. I tiptoed across the floor and swapped the scary hot pink for safe Cherry Red.

She ended her call. “Changed your mind?”

Something seemed to gently insist that this was about more than nail polish.

“Okay,” I said. “Go with pink.’

As she swiped electric pink on my big toe I almost said, “Never mind. I don’t like change.”

Aha. The truth.

By the time she finished foot number one, I knew one thing. The color made a bold fearless statement. A smile started from my heart. “I love it!”

“Don’t be afraid of the unknown,” God seemed to say. Looking at my feet, I remembered the scripture from Psalms 139:1 (ESV). “O Lord, You have searched me and known me!”

If He knows me, surely I can let go and welcome change. The unknown. Even risk wearing pink.

Is God calling you to something new today?

Comments

1. Hey, now I wish I had looked at your toes while we were in Atlanta! 🙂 Way to go, girl!

• Julie says:

Wish I’d thought to show you. I bet pink is your color for sure, Vonda!

2. Julie Naegele says:

Reminds me of when I was in 4-H and about 12. Being a redhead, I had always been steered away from the reds, oranges and pinks. My sewing leader suggested that I use a bright orange flower print for my back-to-school dress. I thought she was crazy, but I did get a blue ribbon for it and fared pretty good at the fashion show, too. I don’t know who started the rumor that redheads can’t wear those colors, but I’m sure glad things have changed.

You are such an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work.

• Julie says:

Oh, oh, another redhead! And a first place blue ribbon winner. Thanks, Julie!

3. I LOVE it, Julie! I’ve worn that color before. It’s one of my favorites! When I had my colors done, I was so surprised at the one I could wear. Deep purple? Yes. There is a shade of almost every color we can wear. 😉 Glad you stepped out of that box, girl!

• Julie says:

Ooooh, deep purple. Maybe I should try it. Love the sound of it. Thanks, my friend, Ane.

4. Wasn’t COURAGE your one-little-word for the year Jewels????????
    🙂
    love this and LOVE those toes!
    (ps…also, you make me remember that God meets us right where we are…even if it’s getting our toes done! That’s how much He wants to be w/ us…communicate w/ us…thank you for the reminder_

• Julie says:

You’re so right, Rob. He even loves us in the nail salon–even when I’m acting like a fool and can’t let go. Maybe especially then. Thank you.

5. Pat Garczynski says:

“How beautiful on the mountain are the feet of those who bring Good News!” Isaiah 52:7

• Julie says:

Pat, you’re making me tear up, my friend. I’d forgotten that lovely scripture. Thank you. What a beautiful thing you just did. xoxo

• Julie says:

Pat, I just tried to respond to your sweet email. It got returned to me….not sure what happened. Thank you! Loved your thoughts. I’ll try to resend.

6. arie says:

My girlfriend had toes done before a friends wedding and picked a coral to match her mother of the flowergirl dress. When it was applied, it was not drying coral. She found out it was Mood polish and the color kept changing!

• Julie says:

Mood polish! Now there’s an idea. Never heard of that one. Thanks Arie, for reading and commenting. 🙂