Shut Up and Get Out!

Some people may not understand this. Oh, well. Here goes.

I’m learning to be careful with my thoughts. The worst kind are the sneaky ones that tiptoe in like a gray mouse scampering across a stage. He whispers evil tidings.

For instance, my husband and I were having a date night last Friday and a pesky thought interrupted dinner.

What are you going to blog about next week?

You don’t have anything, do you?

Your blogging days are over.

I used to sit fearfully chewing my fingernails listening intently to every negative word the mouse spoke. The longer I listened, the bigger and louder he grew. Sometimes, I wanted to take notes. I didn’t dare miss any of the scary scenarios he predicted. I had to be prepared for the worst.

I’m learning. Slowly but surely.

Friday night, in my mind, I ran toward the mouse. I stamped my feet and bellowed, “Shut up and get out! Take your foolish worries with you. I don’t have to listen. There’s a Higher Authority.”

He shrunk and stumbled off, coward that he is.

I heard sweet silence. Then a gentle, loving voice spoke inside my heart.

My child. The enemy has no rights to your thoughts. You are Mine. See? The blog is written.”

Does anybody else holler at mice? I hope so.

Comments

1. Helen Barlow says:

I so understand this Julie. I am working hard on getting rid of negative thinking. The devil tempts our every thought, and we must do just like you. Thanks for reminding me that I can do it, no more negative thinking.

• Julie says:

I’m so glad you understand, Helen. We’re winning the battle though, aren’t we!

2. Katie says:

You are right! Bad thoughts have such a way of wiggling in and taking over but I guess God is in control no matter what thoughts we have.

• Julie says:

Right, Katie. Wish I’d known how to fight mice when you were little. I love you!

3. Betsy says:

I holler at mice all the time Julie! It’s taken quite some time…but I think I’m finally getting better at it. Whenever one of those pesky negative thoughts start trying to creep in, I try to counteract it with a stronger, more positive one. Some days I’m better at it than others but at least I’m making progress!! It is a battle but I think it’s one we can all conquer. 🙂

• Julie says:

Amen, Betsy. It’s a battle we can conquer. Charge ahead~~

4. Brenda Osborne says:

Hi Julie!
    This is a great post!! You are such a creative writer and I enjoy reading your work.

This analogy about the mouse was very original.We must remember that we are in spiritual
    warfare everyday and pray for strength from God to recognize and resist the attacks of the enemy.

• Julie says:

So true, Brenda. It’s every single day. Loved your comment!

5. julie seals says:

Julie, I LOVE this blog! It is so simple…so profound…so true…so powerful…and so NEEDED by each and every person who loves, follows, and lives for Jesus Christ! You, dear Julie, will NEVER run out of things to blog about, for the Master Blogger lives on the inside of you!

• Julie says:

I’m laughing happy tears, Julie. Sooooo profound–the Master Blogger lives in of me. Hallelujah!~!Thank you, my friend.

6. Thank you so much for sharing this! So often the greatest battle is fought right in our mind. We are blessed when we remember Who is on our side.

• Julie says:

Right, Kathy–Who is on our side. And He’s a Mighty Warrior. Thank you so much for your comment!

7. Love, love, love this. I will remember this the next time I need to tell my big hairy bigfoot (worse than a little mouse) to SHUT UP AND GET OUT! I will!

Thanks!

8. Melba Fletcher says:

Julie, the gray mouse talks to me all the time. He has been especially active lately. And he talks about things that are life and death situations. I wish I were better at stamping my foot and getting rid of him. Your writing encouraged me to do so. Thank you!

• Julie says:

We gotta keep stomping at the mouse, don’t we, Melba! Thank you so much for your comment. So glad it found a home in your heart. xoxo