I’m a visual learner. Whenever I’m asked to speak or teach, I bring a giant bag of props. One of them is my Thought Box. I know this sounds goofy, but hang with me for a minute.
For most of my life, I chased almost every negative notion and fear that popped into my mind.
Guess what? There’s another way to live! Here’s what I’m talking about.
My Thought Box represents my mind.
It contains three things–
Shiny marbles, pretty jewels, and plastic frogs.
I keep it on my desk.
With God’s help, I choose which thoughts to dwell on and which ones to toss. I don’t like frogs, so they symbolize destructive thinking. Condemning froggy-thoughts are lies. And they leap from one bad thought to the next.
To the next.
To the next.
I don’t have to listen to them anymore.
1. You’ll never measure up.
2. You’re not smart enough.
3. Depression took you under. How embarrassing! You should be so ashamed of yourself! (This could be ANYTHING you struggle with or ANYTHING in your past–not just depression.)
4. Uh-oh!!! You were supposed to follow Plan A, but you chose Plan B. You blew it! It’s too late to change!
5. You’ll never get it right! You’ll never be free.
6. God’s probably forgotten about you.
Okay, here’s the amazing part~~
God-shaped thoughts are like precious jewels and rock-solid marbles.
We can trust them.
1. God is for me. He loves me.
2. I don’t ever have to be afraid.
3. God says I’m precious in His sight.
4. God forgives me.
5. I’ve been set free!
6. I don’t have to be perfect! Jesus did that for me. Click to Tweet.
Guard your thoughts. They have the power to build us up or tear us down.
What froggy-thoughts (lies!) pester you?
What jewel-thoughts (truths) encourage you?
“For you are God’s masterpiece. He has created you anew in Christ Jesus, so you can do the good things He planned for you long ago.” Ephesians 2:10
“Don’t be afraid or discouraged for the Lord your God is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” 1 Chronicles 28:20
“…We are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5