Just When You Think You Know Someone…

Thursday night, my husband Rick and I were coming home listening to The Eagles Greatest Hits CD. Back in the 70′s during the eight-track era, we loved Jackson Browne, James Taylor, and The Eagles.

We still do.

“Hole in the World” came on. Oh, those voices! “Sing for me,” I said in the middle of the song.

“Nah, not tonight.”

I didn’t think he would. I’d only heard my husband sing beside me in church–always quietly, but I had a feeling he could carry a tune.

And then all of a sudden he belted it out with Don Henley. “…until we learn to love one another, we will never reach the promised land...”

Rick’s voice intertwined with Don’s so beautifully, I couldn’t tell them apart.

Holy cow.

He looked at me and grinned. “Sing with me.”

“Are you kidding me? No way. I can’t. Not like that.” I remembered church choir as a teenager. I wasn’t a soprano or an alto, so I moved my lips and mumbled a lot.

“Sing Glen Frey’s part,” Rick said. “He’s back-up. It’s a chorus.”

“No, thanks. You and Don are doing just fine.”

Two days later, Saturday night rolled around. I gathered my courage. I’d been practicing. My heart pounded as we got in the car. “Okay, I’ll sing with you this time.”

Rick found song number sixteen on the CD.

I started out softly, “There’s a hole in the world tonight…” practically whispering.

“You got it! Now sing like you mean it.”

I took a deep breath and let loose. Wow! We were singing together–the two of us with Don and Glenn!  After 33 years of marriage, a duet, and we weren’t too shabby. :-)

Felt like the night we danced at our daughter’s wedding. :-)

It’s never too late to encourage someone you love.

To believe in them.

To say, “You can do it.”

“…encourage each other, and build one another up…” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 ESV

Has anyone encouraged you like that? It matters, doesn’t it!

P.S. # 710 in my gratitude journal…”Singing a duet with my husband!”

Comments

1. Michelle Vancil says:

There’s always something new to learn about each other, isn’t there? My husband ‘s voice sounds good to me too; when I accidentally catch him singing. He’s shy, and would never in a million years sing in front of even me. As for me, you’d rather hear me whistle; trust me! That photo of you and your husband is absolutely gorgeous! I hope you have that framed and hanging on your wall somewhere. I don’t see the bride and groom, but I bet the love and happiness I feel flowing from your photo is equal to that of any newlywed. Who says there’s no such thing as fairytales? You and your husband are the epitome of “happily ever after”! Have a beautiful day, and thank you so much for brightening mine! :)

• Julie Garmon says:

Awww, thank you, Michelle. Yeah, I never thought my husband would sing for me–took lots of years. Maybe yours will too!!

One day, I’ll have to blog about the wedding and put up a picture of my daughter and SIL. Such a sweet guy.

Happily ever after for sure…and some stuff you just let go of. :-)

2. Robin says:

you two are a perfect duet…and really? Ricky can sing??? Do you think he’d call me and sing on the phone??? :)
    I completely love this post as a testament to life-long love and a reminder to encourage one another.
    You guys need to teach a marriage course to young couples J

• Julie Garmon says:

Yes, he can sing. Hmmmm, would he sing for you on the phone?? I don’t know. I had to wait years.

Okay, your last sentence pricked my heart…:-)

Love you. And by the way, I don’t know if you can sing. That’s the kind of thing I should know about you!

One would think I would have grown accustomed to my weepy Wednesday mornings with Julie, but I haven’t Thank you for sharing this. Encouragement is so important. Love ya

• Julie Garmon says:

Anna, Girl, You keep me writing. I always, always wonder, will anybody understand.

Your encouragement blesses me more than you can imagine.

xoxo xoxo xoxo xoxo

4. Melody♪♫ says:

Hurrah for gratitude journal entry #710!
    Every aspect of life with a husband should be a duet, I think. Sometimes it may start timidly, but should finish “plena voce”.

5. Tom says:

GREAT story and show of a fun and loving relationship! Keep singing!

6. Janette says:

Cute post! I love that we can keep learning to stretch ourselves and break loose and enjoy the moment. It is like another layer of intimacy in marriage. Thanks for encouraging me today to let my heart show and not hide it away.

7. Ane Mulligan says:

How much fun!! And I love the photo of y’all at your daughter’s wedding. It’s so cute. I finally bit the bullet and joined the community choir the hubs sings in. I’m having a blast, but I can’t come near his singing talent. :)

8. Julie Garmon says:

Thank you, Ane. And good for you!!

You and me both. Talented husbands!

Love you. Miss you!

9. marie says:

So, sweet! And what a GORGEOUS photo of the two of you!

10. Marilyn says:

Julie, this is just precious! What a special relationship you and your husband have! Love the picture because you can see the love in your eyes. How neat that you can still learn new things about each other and encourage each other in the process! Thanks for sharing.

11. B.J. Taylor says:

My husband has the most awful singing voice (but, shhh….don’t tell him that). I smile when he sings, and I sing along with him (I’m not very good either), but we make wonderful, wacky harmony together. There’s something about enjoying each other, isn’t there? : o )

12. ann says:

Love this. Thanks for the reminder to encourage my husband :)

13. Alisha Mason says:

Oh how awesome! Love this post. You and your sweet husband are precious, you are a wonderful example of real, true love. Gives the rest of us hope. :-) So sweet, so cute. Thanks for yet again opening your door to us all with your generous spirit. Love ya!

14. Julie Garmon says:

Beautiful words, Alisha. I’m smilin’ :-)

Thanks, my friend.

15. Priceless, Julie! And the look in your eyes while you’re dancing says it all. What a great looking couple you are!

16. This is a wonderful post, Julie, and I love your relationship with Rick. Mark LOVES to sing (and he has an okay voice). What’s best is he loves hip hop music and gets down with little dance moves that make me and Haley howl. Also, Mark enjoys mixing up the lyrics of songs, sorta like Weird Al. This used to annoy me cause he’d do it on my favorite tunes! Now, after 18 years together, I make weird lyrics too. Its totally about enjoying each other, huh? Love the sweet pic of you two:).

• Julie Garmon says:

Isn’t it wonderful how the years change us. :-)

Dancing, now that’s one thing I’m halfway decent at. Wish Mark had danced for us in Portland.

xoxo xoxo xoxo

17. Julie, that was SO beautiful! I love that! And I love the photo of you and Rick together. So wonderful. You know who encouraged me? You!

When you encouraged and helped me as I wrote one of my manuscripts, I kept the phone message you sent me for over a year. If it hadn’t been accidently erased, I would have kept it forever. Thank you, sweet friend!

Love and BIG hugs,