I’m Weird Like That

As a little girl, I went to lots of spend-the-night parties. I never told anybody, but I didn’t really like going. I’m weird like that.

After Mother dropped me off, I’d find a quiet spot in the corner and stretch out my sleeping bag. I was usually the first one to fall asleep and first to get up. Saturday morning, I slurped a bowl of Cheerios, suitcase in hand, ready to hurry home.

This past Thursday, I was invited to a big girl spend-the-night party with three dear friends at a cabin in north Georgia. I love my friends, couldn’t wait to see them, but just before leaving home…I remembered.

I glanced at my cozy bedroom, the soft glow of the lamp, and smoothed my fingers over my quilt.

I felt a twinge of little girl feelings.

Good grief. Sometimes I’m the same little girl inside. Loving my predictable routine. Help me to change, Lord.

I petted Clyde goodbye, grabbed my suitcase, and headed for the mountains.

That night my friends and I went out for Mexican. We talked and laughed at the restaurant, and back at Lisa’s cabin, we stayed up until 1 a.m. eating chocolate chip cookies. (Gluten-free with Pamela’s flour…..delish!)

I slept in Lisa’s daughter’s bedroom. She had a comfy quilt like mine and soft pink sheets. You’ll never believe it…

I was the last one up the next morning!

Here we are on Friday…me, Leigh Anne, Dayna, and Lisa. :-)

Before we left, the four of us joined hearts and prayed.

I thought about my theme for the year.

Oh, the wonderful plans I have for you… God seemed to say.

You mean, like the Dr. Seuss book, Oh, The Places You’ll Go?

You’ll see. Surrender. Daily.

I’m so glad I went to the big girl spend-the-night party! :-)

Maybe I used to be “weird like that.” But not anymore!

Do you have any weird ways  you’re working on changing?

1. Girlfriend time is the BEST way to spend a few days…..glad you had a good time, Julie.

2. Robin says:

I can soooo relate J! I was always that way as a little girl and still am! I don’t like being away from Mike, even for one night. So do I have weirdness? YES! …that I’m working on changing…? Well, I’m not sure about that :0
    But to be fair, my word wasn’t surrender …
    So proud of you~ love love love u

It has taken me a while to realize it, but I am bad to get into a routine and not want to change. So I am working hard at changing routines.; Looking at things in different ways. It’s harder than I thought, but I am working at it

4. So sweet! It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I can completely relate, I was that little girl. It’s amazing as the years pass from adolescence, we see more and more that God is with us and there is nothing to fear. And I love your bedroom…it’s charming!

• Julie Garmon says:

Love the way you said it, Joanne…the more and more that God is with us, there is nothing to fear. Beautiful. Yeah, I wondered if you’d like my bedroom. I do love your tastes in decorating.

Thank you!

5. Janette says:

What a precious blog. It ministered to me so much- especially the photo of your prayer time. How beautiful and dear!

• Julie Garmon says:

I know, Janette…as it was happening, right after we prayed, I had a feeling I’d want to blog about it. Lisa stretched her arm up and snapped a picture of the sweet moment.

Thank you. My prayer was that today’s blog would reach someone’s heart. :-)

• Jan O says:

Janette, you’re not from Wisconsin, are you?
      Could you be a friend of mine??

6. B.J. Taylor says:

Clyde! What are you doing on that bed! lol What a handsome boy he is, and what a strong, and trusting woman you are, Julie. Surrendering to God, giving Him all of you. Trusting. I am so happy that you had a great time. And I hope you have many more of these special moments in the future. Hugs & love.

• Julie Garmon says:

B.J. is that a no-no? Clyde on the bed? He just looks so cute up there.

So many blessings come with surrender, don’t they.

Heck, maybe I’ll come see you and learn to play golf. :-)

xoxo xoxo xoxo xoxo

7. marie says:

Yep, I’m weird like that, too! I have an out-of-town conference in a few weeks with 4 nights away from home, and I will be staying in a dorm. No friends are going with me–all by myself. After I signed up and paid, I thought “What have I done?” My word for the year is, “Release.” I guess it’s time to crowbar the fingers open one by one.

Love your bedroom, my dear. I can see why you wouldn’t want to leave it, but so glad you went and slept in!

• Julie Garmon says:

Marie, those conferences….talk about faith!! But God always goes with me. I’ve gotten to where I enjoy flying alone. Quiet time to read.

Crowbar, love it! You’re exactly right.

Thank you for the compliment on my bedroom. It’s home. :-)

xoxo xoxo
      P.S. Let me know how your conference goes!

8. Melody♪♫ says:

I’m constantly invited by friends from church to go on the women’s retreats. I always tell them I don’t retreat…
    I did jr hi retreats, high school retreats, college retreats, singles’ retreats… Now that I’m married I’d rather spend my time with my husband & sons. Not that I don’t enjoy corporate worship & Bible study with my sisters in Christ — but that doesn’t mean I’d like to spend a couple nights sharing a room & bathroom with them. I’m weird like that. :)

1. [...] I’m so grateful for my FRIENDS OF THE HEART. [...]