9 Secrets about Friends of the Heart

The older I get, the easier I cry, especially when I’m with my friends. It’s the sweet kind of happy tears. Last week, my birthday week, I got teary-eyed a bunch of times.

I had lunch with my mom, sis, niece, and daughters at La Madeleine. We didn’t talk about anything too important. We just laughed a lot. And I teared-up twice, naturally. :-)

My daughters and me.

My mom and niece.

My sissy and me. I learned you’re actually supposed to look at the camera, not the person taking pictures. :-)

My writing group, The Seedwriters, had a surprise party for me at Chick-fil-A. I cried some more happy tears over this card from Ane Mulligan.

See how she named each one of us? We women LOVE to do that, don’t we?

Here we are in real life below (minus Barbara Davidson, who couldn’t make it). There’s Ane Mulligan with Novel Rocket, me, Anita Mellott, Jim Hall, Barbara King, Patty Hall Smith, and Nora St. Laurent with Book Club.

I thought about why a heart-friend is so special….

1. When you talk to her, she starts nodding her head almost immediately. (My husband is my very best friend–no one takes his place, but he doesn’t nod while I’m talking. It’s a woman-thing, I guess.)

2. You can go a decade without seeing her, and when you finally get together, you both start talking in the middle of a sentence, and that’s fine. You understand each other.

3. You laugh at the same things without saying a word.

4. If you say, “Remember when….” she remembers. Always.

5. If the worst possible thing in life happens, you know if you can just tell her about it, you’ll feel 50 to 60 percent better.

6. She keeps your secrets.

7. You don’t ever have to actually meet face-to-face . :-) I’ve become heart-friends with lots of my blog readers!

8. Some friendships end abruptly, and the only thing you can do is let her go…with love. You’ll never forget her. Ever.

9. There’s always room in my heart (and maybe yours too?) for one more friend. And lots more happy tears.

Tell me about your heart-friends. What makes them special?

(*Birthday card used with permission from Sunrise Greetings, photography from Underwood Photo Achives/Superstock Inc.)

Comments

1. I love when the Lord brings special people in your life to help you grow in ways you never thought possible. Julie the Seedwriters is that special group for me too! You all have allowed me to peek into the writers world and I’ve been amazed at how God puts stories on your heart and in your mind. As I listen to you all read your stories, I’m in wonder. I don’t think like that but I APPRECIATE you all that do. I’m excited to be in on the process. I also appreciate a praying group. You all have helped me be more than I ever thought possible. . I feel like the little train that didn’t think he could but the Seedwriters encouraged me and said We know you can, we know you can, we’re with you, we know you can!!

Another special friend of mine is Lea. She introduced me to the Lord and helped change my life forever. Although she lives in another country and even lived in Africa for a few years. The Lord has allowed us to see each other once a year. When we do meet it’s magical. We pick up from where we left off. The Lord puts us on each others hearts to pray for the other. I always feel connected.

Yes, Julie Special friendships don’t come around every day. I’m with you I cherish them when they do!! Blessings to you and Thanks for sharing your heart!! HAPPY EVER AFTER BIRTHDAY!!

Sincerely,

Nora St Laurent
    The Book Club Network

2. Barb King says:

You are truly my blessing as a friend…love to you…My Mom was but she is kinda hard to talk with anymore since she is spending so much time with Jesus in Heaven…and then all those other girls that are lined up at that table…where would I be without you guys…I have no idea

Love to you
    Barb

• Julie Garmon says:

Smiling a sad smile right now–your mom being hard to talk to. My mind shuts down when I think about that with my mother. :-(

I feel the same way about our Seeds, Barb. So blessed, so very blessed, my heart-friend.

3. Ane Mulligan says:

I feel the same! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thanked God for bringing you and these other ladies into my life. It’s my heart-friends in life that make it so joyous. I love you all!

4. Yes! I so know exactly how you feel! One thing I’ve learned over the past few months is how much my friends mean to me. And I love that I can be my crazy self, figuring out characters in a book without you guys suggesting professional help or medicine!

Love ya, Love ya, LOVE YA!
    Patty

• Julie Garmon says:

You’d better be your crazy self, Patty! That’s one thing about heart-friends. We get to be our crazy selves around each other. :-) :-0 Wohooo!

Love you right back!

5. Jim Hall says:

I’m happy to be the lone male in our group and love knowing you. Your heart explodes with love.
    Jim

6. Sweet Julie, you are a heart-sister. I’m so grateful God allowed our paths to cross. Your friendship blesses me abundantly!

Love you, precious friend!

• Julie Garmon says:

I was thinking about you (and others heart-sisters!) as I wrote this. You really do feel as close as a nextdoor neighbor, Lisa. I just can’t think about you without smiling.

Love you too!

7. B.J. Taylor says:

The nodding head is definitely a woman thing and I can almost see it when I talk to someone on the phone! Heart-friends are special. They touch me in a deep way. I feel blessed to have a handful of these incredible relationships. You are one of them! Hugs & love.

• Julie Garmon says:

Me too. I see your nodding in my mind and especially can HEAR YOUR SMILE over the phone. So very grateful for you, my heart-friend, and incredible Encourager!! xoxo

8. Robin says:

You are my forever heart friend dear Julie…xo

9. Janette says:

Beautiful blog about friendships! I’ve been following your blog for awhile and have been enjoying them immensely. I especially enjoyed your blogs about your mama and her RA journey. I too have RA and hope to make a difference to others as I proceed on this journey. If you ever want to visit my blog it is http://www.rejoicinginthejourney.blogspot.com. I would love to have you visit although lots of times I just share some fun stuff :-)

10. Julie Garmon says:

Thank you so much, Janette!! I will visit your site right now. So glad you’ve been reading. Mom’s doing well. Sometimes she overdoes it, and has to rest for a few days. She takes a nap almost every day. I hope you’re doing okay…..xoxo!

11. Pinky says:

I ahve a very best friend, we have been friends since we both got married; almost 45 years ago!!!!! AND, we share a birthday, although she is a year younger than me. She is THERE whenever I need her. She has been with me through everything life has thrown at me: and visa versa. She is my heart SISTER. XO, Pinky

12. Julie Garmon says:

Pinky, the older I get, the more I value these long-time friends. I’m so happy you have a heart-sister!!

xoxo and thanks for commenting and “getting” my post.

13. Fleur says:

It’s funny how some people just pop into your life one day and, without you every really expecting or planning it, they somehow become an important part of your life. One day you realize that this person came to mean so much to you, that life would be just that much more drab without them there, thoughts less cheery if it were not for their support, wise words or friendship. Sometimes these people come into your life through obvious ways, like extended family, work colleagues or fellow club mates. Other times they seem to sort of steal into your life and suddenly you’re lingering at the coffee shop to talk a little longer with the waitress, you’re enjoying your bus ride more for the seat mate you’ve come to associate it with, you find yourself always checking the blog of a person you’ve never met before… Whichever way it happens, friends are a God sent. Whether distant or everyday, friends are one of life’s greatest treasures. They help us to feel less alone in our everyday struggles, they are there for us when we need them most, and best of all knowing they exist makes the world seem that much more beautiful, friendly, rich.
    Happy Birthday Julie! We’ve never met, but from as faithful fan, I wish to say thanks for being there!

14. Carol Clyde says:

Julie- you summed it up beautifully- as always! We met as newlyweds and then thankfully reconnected thru FB and your blog( and Christy and Brandon’s wedding) I love “collecting” the heart friends along the many paths that God has sent me- college, Delta, GCPS, Snellville UMC, parents of J and E’s friends, and neighbors! I can pick up the phone or get on email and my heart friends are there to share, to pray, to celebrate, to cry with, and my heart grows bigger each time I connect with each one! Isn’t God amazing that He allows our hearts to grow with each person we love?! There are times that I wish I could talk to my mother again, or hear her voice once more- but when my heart is swelling with praises or fears- I know she’s asking Jesus that I need to see her in a flower, bird, or another heart friend! Love you long time friend!

15. Julie Garmon says:

You said it beautifully, Carol…God allows our hearts to grow with each person we love! Beautiful. And He calls us friends. :)

And when we saw each other, it was like no time had passed!!

xoxo xoxo