Lo and Behold Standing in My Backyard…

As a second grader, I prayed to wake up and find a horse in the backyard.

I wanted to be just like my friend Jody. She had horses. She was always sketching them on notebook paper and galloping around in circles at recess.

One morning a few weeks ago, my childhood prayer was answered. I glanced out the kitchen window and there they were. Not one but three gorgeous horses grazing in my backyard!

Surely this can’t be happening. I’m dreaming or I’ve gone to heaven.

It was as though they were unicorns or dinosaurs.

What to do?

Try to lasso them?

Sweet talk them?

Give them apples?

I don’t know anything about horses so I called my son’s girlfriend Brittany. She’s a horse-girl like Jody. Brittany and her mom rushed over with a barrel of food, leads, and harnesses. (I’m not sure if they’re called harnesses. Bridles?)

Awestruck, mostly I just had fun watching.

And I was right. You do sweet talk horses. :-)

(I didn’t try to feed them apples, peanut butter crackers, or Fanta grape . The snacks I’m holding are for Brittany. :-) )

We discovered they’d escaped through my neighbor’s fence. I got to lead the way back to their pasture.

Such an unexpected adventure I had to share it with you!

Just when we’re about to give up hope and abandon our deepest desires, that’s the moment God rushes in and surprises us.

Hang on to hope.

The thrill of His timing is worth the wait.

Comments

1. Michelle Vancil says:

Those unexpected blessings seem to arrive when you need them most. God’s timing is always perfect! You look absolutely radiant in that photo, Julie! So glad your wish came true, even if just for a little while! :)

I love how I get these posts every Wednesday morning, just when I am at midweek’s tired point. They are, like those horses, a wonderful surprise from God. He makes His mercies new everyday. Blessings are all around, just waiting for us to discover them. Thanks!

3. tom says:

Love it! When we least expect it and are not even looking for it! Funny how when we are looking at Him things we dream and hope for appear. I have same results with deer as i run my favorite trails! Blessings!

4. Julie says:

Just when we’re about to give up hope and abandon our deepest desires, that’s the moment God rushes in and surprises us.
    Hang on to hope. The thrill of His timing is worth the wait.

I needed this. Thanks

5. Robin Steinweg says:

My dream too! What a vicarious rush. Thanks for sharing it, Julie, and thanks for the infusion of hope, too. The thrill of God’s timing…

6. Ane Mulligan says:

I love this! I’ve always loved horses. I wonder why little girls seem to more than boys? You never hear of them talking about their love of horses. Bull riding, sure, but not loving horses. :) I’m delighted the Lord gave you this sweet adventure, Jewels. :)

7. How fun, Julie1 What a sweet surprise from God.

You had a BIG God hug in the form of three beautiful horses. Our God is SO awesome!

Love and hugs, to you sweet friend!

8. Nancy Farrier says:

Beautiful horses and a beautiful thought. Thank you, Julie. I’m heading for the window right now to see if there are horses in my back yard. :) If not, I’m willing to wait.

9. B.J. Taylor says:

OMG, these horses are beautiful and to think you were standing there, right next to them! What a gift, what a blessing!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs & love!

10. Marilyn says:

Julie, how exciting! Isn’t it cool how, even though we sometimes forget our prayers, God still remembers and delivers them as surprises? You look like you felt like a little girl again, so happy to have your prayer answered, even now. They are beautiful horses, too. I bet your neighbor (pun intended) will be happy to have you come visit!

11. Linda Gillis says:

Enjoy your neighbor’s horse–cheaper than owning one. They are beautiful!

12. Julie Garmon says:

For sure, Linda!!! Aren’t they gorgeous! xoxo xoxo Thanks for reading.

13. Carol Clyde says:

Julie- I know that God knows the desires of our heart….but when you saw those horses- it was as if He was saying “Just for you, faithful daughter”! Mike bought me a birdhouse for bluebirds- something fun for us to watch….the day after we put it up….we had 4 bluebirds in our yard—-for the first time ever! Now- I can’t wait to get home each day and put out the gross mealworms for them…..Then I sit and watch for them. My mother loved birds and gardens- When I see the bluebirds- it’s like God is giving me a glimpse of my mother again.

• Julie says:

Hey, Carol! We have a bluebird house too. I love to watch them go in and out. I need to be a good birdwatcher and buy some mealwords. I’d heard of those things. :-) Love that you see a glimpse of your mother’s love again!!

14. Pinky says:

Hang on to hope is right!!! I had totally given up my hubby agreeing to move and HE found us the house we are building. What a WONDERFUL surprise from God!!!! XO, Pinky

15. Shawnelle says:

Precious, Julie. Thanks for the sweet reminder!

16. Lois Laymon says:

This is my first visit to your blog, Julie – such a lovely time I’ve had! I’ve been a Daily Guideposts and Guideposts reader for 20 plus years, but having just retired from teaching, am only now beginning to explore the technology opportunities. Having a child who struggled with addictions, your mom’s writings have been so dear to me. When you became a Guidepost’s contributor you caught my heartstrings immediately. Thank you for sharing your inspiring and uplifting thoughts that speak so dearly to me.
    Your new friend,
    Lois

• Julie says:

Hey friend Lois! So nice to “meet” you. I’m so thrilled you found my blog. Lots of times, Mom and I “talk” on the blog. She doens’t use a computer, but I share our phone conversations. If you read back over my blog posts, I interviewed my brother, Jeremy. :-) Much love, and thanks again for finding me and writing.

17. arie says:

Wow, that is the most wonderful photo of you..you look so young, happy and relaxed!
    I read your blog all the time, and think about commenting, but I don’t like typing on the phone. Love so much about this blog today… we have had a lot of horse experiences like that in my yard. “A horse is a horse, of course, of course ” :) Nature and being out doors is where I most feel the presence of God.
    God bless you, Arie

• Julie Garmon says:

And I don’t have a smart phone! I’m always impressed with my friends who do. :-) Yes, walking outside, especially today, I sense His presence. It’s gorgeous here.

Thanks so much for reading…and the sweet comments. xoxo xoxo

18. arie says:

Nature and being out doors is where I most feel the presence of God.
    God bless you, Arie

19. Melody♪♫ says:

Ha! I would’ve shoo-ed them out of my yard before they nibbled my roses!

And — isn’t that so like what we sometimes do to God’s surprise blessings? Chase them away only to regret afterwards not graciously accepting the moment?

What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing, Julie.

20. Peggy Frezon says:

Such beautiful animals. I guess they had a wonderful adventure. I bet your neighbor was happy to have them returned.

21. Julie Garmon says:

Meg, you just wouldn’t believe how thrilled they were! Soooo relieved. And I got to enjoy them for a couple of hours while we figured everything out.

22. Jan O says:

A WOW moment. God never forgets our heart’s desires, and He sure came through for you! You DO look wonderful in the photo and the horses are really pretty ones. I hope you visit your neighbor–and find out their names.
    Just finished reading the book War Horse, that was the inspiration for the movie. You’d enjoy it, I think.
    And maybe halters was the equipment your friends brought.
    What a dandy thing!

• Julie Garmon says:

You’re exactly right. I just found out the horse “things” are called halters. :-) :-) Thank you for reading and writing me. I’ve heard good things about War Horse. I need to check into it. Yes, we did meet ours neighbors.

xoxo xoxo

• Jan O says:

(I did really mean the names of the horses, not the names of your neighbors, although if you didn’t already know them .. . . )

• Julie Garmon says:

Ohhhhhhh! Of course, Jan. The horses’ names. :-) :-) Yes, I remember hearing them called by their names as we were walking them home, but I’ve forgotten what they were. What kind of a neighbor am I!

23. Robin says:

Wouldn’t it be amazing to wake up every morning and see those majestic animals hanging out in the yard?
    I love that you live on enough land to actually SEE horses! And the pics are so wonderful…
    …and “hang onto hope”…what a message.
    la la la love you

24. Julie Garmon says:

I la la la la love you, too, Robin. It would be kinda like living at the Game Ranch, wouldn’t it. :-)