True Love and Homemade Brunswick Stew

My husband Rick and I married 33 years ago. Young love was amazing, but mature love is  even better!

Every single day the man makes me laugh. I admire his perseverance. I love his free-spirited ways.

Like what happened one drizzly Sunday in February…

We went grocery shopping after church. Since I was diagnosed with Celiac, he’s been so sweet to help me eat gluten-free. Standing by the meat aisle at Publix he said, “Let’s make homemade Brunswick stew today.”

We’d never made homemade Brunswick stew. We didn’t have a recipe. No grocery list.

“Do you know how?”

“It can’t be all that hard.”

I smiled. That’s why I love him.

He tossed some pork chops in the buggy and picked out the rest of his spur-of-the-moment ingredients. All gluten-free, for me. :-)

As soon as we got home, he chopped an onion and cut the meat into tiny pieces. Then he put everything in the crock pot and cooked it all day.

I’m telling you, my husband’s Brunswick stew was incredible–the stuff true love is made of.

Here’s the recipe. Of course, he didn’t measure, so I’m guessing. I don’t think you can go wrong with these yummy ingredients:

Four boneless pork chops cut into tiny pieces

Three boneless chicken breasts cut into tiny pieces

A pound of good steak cut into tiny pieces

2-28 ounce cans pureed tomatoes

About two cups or so of chicken stock (gluten-free if necessary)

One chopped onion

A package frozen silver queen corn

About a cup of barbecue sauce (we used Kraft, gluten-free)

About 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Salt and pepper

Texas Pete Sauce–as much or as little as you like.

While the stew simmered, I made popcorn as rain pelted on our tin roof.

Rick built a cozy fire and Thelma, our calico cat, curled up on my lap. Clyde, our yellow Lab, slept at our feet.

One of my all-time favorite Sunday afternoons!

A good marriage is like homemade Brunswick stew. Sweet, spicy, and full of love.

Anybody else make good homemade Brunswick stew? Share your recipe!

Comments

1. Jennifer says:

Sounds like the perfect day to me too. Thanks for sharing Julie! :)
    Jennifer

2. Perfect timing! I’m going to stop right now and put it on the stove. And I’ve never made it, either!
    Thanks!

3. Ane Mulligan says:

Julie, I realize that photo is 33 years old, but woman, you don’t look a day different now! You’ve got some great genes!!

4. B.J. Taylor says:

Okay, I’m laughing hysterically here at, first of all, how inept I am as a cook. I marvel at the skills of that man you have been married to for 33 years (congratulations!). Second, at your endearingly sweet term “buggy.” I love it! I’m going to go to the grocery store later and pull one of those buggies out of the line and wheel it around while thinking of my Georgia friend. Thanks for the laugh this morning, for the sweet memories you have shared, and for reminding me about what makes a good marriage.
    Hugs & love.

5. Jane says:

I’ve never had Brunswick Stew, but this sounds yummy! And it is chocked full of pork, chicken and beef – my husband’s dream!!! Thank you for “inventing” an easy recipe that can be dumped in the crock pot and welcome one home after a long day.

6. Julie Garmon says:

Thanks so much, Jane! xoxo xoxo

7. Marilyn says:

I’ve always wanted to make this, so now I will and use your recipe! Sounds delicious! Also, I agree with Ane – you haven’t changed a bit! BTW, doesn’t everybody say “buggy?” I didn’t know it was just a Southern word.

8. Just wanted to let you know we loved it! Now eating our 3rd meal off it! :-)

9. Jan O says:

No more posts on this blog?? Hoping to share it with a fellow Bible-studier who has been diagnosed with celiac disease. Had Brunswick Stew just once, at a place in Georgia called Dillards–quite an experience. Someday maybe will try yours–sounds yummy but I don’t cook much. Should, but . . .

Trackbacks

1. [...] blogged about making stew last year here, TRUE LOVE AND BRUNSWICK STEW, but there’s a new recipe and a life [...]