Is There A Party Going On In Here?

This past Friday, Mother had her breast biopsy. Waiting hasn’t been easy for her.

My sister Jennifer, Mom’s husband Gene, and I joined her inside the curtained cubicle in pre-op. “Oh, good. Y’all are here.”

Pretty soon she asked for her big white sunglasses.

“You’re going to wear them in the hospital?” I said.

“The overhead light’s bright and I don’t have on any under-eye concealer.”

Jennifer fished through Mother’s huge Ziploc baggie and handed her the glasses.

“This is too funny–you in these glasses. Can I take a picture for my blog?”

“By all means.”

I handed Gene the camera and we crowded around her bed.

“That picture’s terrible. Looks like I’m lyin’ a corpse. Take a another one and I’ll hold my head up better.”

Only my mother. :-)

“You and Jen look like nerd sisters from the sixties wearing your glasses. Ya’ll take a picture looking like that. It’s only fair.”

“Listen to all the chatter in the other cubicles,” Mother said. “Sounds like a party. Wish I could meet everybody and work the room.”

“You could in those glasses.” Jennifer said.

Who knew you could have this much fun in pre-op? We got tickled–started laughing hysterically, and then the anesthesiologist pulled the curtain back. Ahhhhhhh! He caught us snapping pictures. I’m not sure he understood our humor, but Mother’s doctor sure did.

“I should have known your mother would have a party going on in here.” He flopped down on the end of the tiny bed and laughed with us.  Mother laughed so hard she cried.

After surgery, Mom ate some of Jen’s homemade fudge. She said she had so much fun, she wants to come back next week and do it again!

When you aren’t afraid, sometimes life just gets downright funny.

A merry heart does good like medicine…” Proverbs 17:22 (KJ)

P.S. Tuesday, 5:38 p.m. Mom just called. Great report! Benign papilloma!

Comments

1. Tom says:

Too Funny and great news!

2. Pat Garczynski says:

Oh, Julie, this is Good News in Jesus Christ! Laughter sure can be the best medicine on the “Island of Trust.” Did you see the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding?” A very funny scene is about one of the aunts telling about her breast “bibopsy” to the poor unsuspecting Millers! Love to you and Jennifer and Marion!! P.S. Remember that my wonderful daughters are Julie and Jennifer!

• Julie Garmon says:

Yes, I did see that movie, Pat! I’d forgotten that scene–must watch it again. I love how you put it–that laughter can be the best medicine on the Island of Trust. Thanks so much…yes, you have a Julie and Jennifer too. :-)

3. Robin says:

I love your mom! Yay for the good report J
    (you are such a blogger now, taking a camera with you everywhere you go!)

4. Rebecca says:

Praise the Lord! Julie your family is just as Southern as mine! That’s the first time I’ve seen “lyin’ a corpse” used in a written sentence. Thanks to you, now I know how to spell it! Speaking of lyin’ a corpse – my mother (who is just about the same age as yours) decided to offer me advice when I was trying to decide what to wear to my 20th high school reunion a few years ago. “You looked really good the night your Daddy lay a corpse. You should wear that outfit.” Only a Southern Mama would 1) remember what I wore 2) and recommend I wear it again.

5. Ane Mulligan says:

That’s a hoot! Only your mom, Julie!

6. Marti Pieper says:

I’m not even Southern and I loved this one.

Love the health–physical and otherwise–displayed here. Keep rockin’ those glasses.

7. Marilyn says:

What good news! What great fun you girls have. I’m so glad Marion was able to have fun during the experience.

8. B.J. Taylor says:

I can hear the laughter and the tittering giggles. I can see the smiling eyes and mouths turned up in grins. And those glasses — precious.

And don’t you just love that doctor? He knows the power of a good laugh. So happy at the outcome!

Hugs & love.

9. Michelle Vancil says:

Thank the Lord, your mother is alright! I’m so happy for all of you! Love the photos and the fact that you all were able to take a somber situation and make something festive out of it! Please give your mom my regards.

10. Jackie says:

So glad to hear the great news! Loved the post, Julie!

11. Julie Garmon says:

Thank you, thank you, Jackie. :-) :-) It means so much to know people care.

12. Carol Frady says:

So glad it all is good and JOY and Love surrounded your mom.. Give her my love.

13. candis says:

Wonderful News.So thankful for God’s blessings.

14. All that laughter is great for healing!

15. Love the glasses! What a hoot! And thank God for the good news, too!!

16. Julie, So glad that your Mom’s lumpectomy was benign. PRAISE GOD! Reading this story, I couldn’t help recalling the infamous trio (you all) at my home when we celebrated your special day a few years back. You really have a BLESSED relationship with your sister and Momma. I am blessed to have a fun mother/sisters relationship as well. My Mom has been visiting from the north now since end of December. My sister and I take turns each week – I have her one week, she goes to Sis’s in Norcross; then back to my place. We’re making new memories…laughing together and being silly. This post reminds me that even in what could be the darkest of times, HE still has the ability to make us giggle together. Hugs…~Catherine, The Traveling Tea Lady. ;) Let me know if you get in the mood to enjoy tea again with your Momma & Sis Jennifer!

• Julie Garmon says:

Thanks you, Catherine…Nothing like those sweet relationships with mamas and sissies, is there! :-) Love the new tradition your setting with your mom and sis! Much love to the tea lady~~

17. Laughing and praising with you, Julie! What a fun mama and sister. You’re so blessed. :-)

18. Julie Garmon says:

Thank you, Vonda! Don’t I know it. :-)

xoxo xoxo

19. Jane says:

What a blessing – both the relaxed atmosphere while waiting for the procedure and the terrific news following! I love the photo of your mom “cheesin’” in her white sunglasses.

20. Jo Ann Thomason says:

Debbie forwarded this to me so I could see it.

Your mom had told me how much fun everyone had. I’m so glad it was such a sweet time and filled with laughter just before the surgery.

I give Praise to our Lord Jesus for the test results.

The pictures are delightful!!! All of you look beautiful,

Love to all,
    Jo Ann

Trackbacks

1. [...] when my mother had her  biopsy? My sister made fudge and we had a party. We didn’t do this years ago–combine biopsies [...]