Delight at the Dairy Queen–More on Marriage

Getting along is much more fun than nitpicking. For years, I’d chime, “Why didn’t you blah, blah, blah? You forgot to yada-yada-yada.” Good things happen when nagging ceases.
Besides having porch parties, my husband and I now have nighttime fun at the Dairy Queen. After supper once or twice a week one of us says, “Want to go to the DQ?”

The other says, “I was just thinking the same thing.”

Little things matter. A lot.

A DQ date night costs about $5, but it’s worth gold. For a few minutes, we’re teenagers again. We jump in the truck and head past the square to the DQ drive-through. I order a small chocolate shake or a hot fudge sundae with peanuts. Rick gets a mini Reece’s blizzard, which is about the size of a thimble, but plenty good. We sit in the parking lot while we eat and watch the cars go by.

The other night a gorgeous orange and purple sun set surprised us–the kind that takes your breath. Heaven came down. Glory filled the sky. And the truck.

from http://www.allthingsheartandhome.com/

Rick held my hand–one of those sparkly-gold moments when words weren’t necessary. Maybe the less I nag, the more I notice God.

Minutes later, as the girl handed us our ice cream, she smiled and said, “Have a blessed night.”

It is a blessed night. So very, very blessed.

From the rising of the sun to it’s setting the name of the Lord is to be praised. Ps. 113:3 NAS

Comments

1. What a beautiful sunset picture and beautiful story to go with it. I just love reading about your porch parties and now your DQ date nights too! Thanks for sharing and for some reason I have a hankering for a banana split! Maybe I can talk my husband into a trip to DQ some evening this week. It doesn’t take much to talk him into ice cream! And we thrive on those simple pleasures in the midst of such overwhelming struggles. They are truly God’s grace. Thanks for sharing :-)

• Julie says:

Thank you so much, Julie! I’m so glad you “get it.” What if you ate your banana split on your porch~~ wouldn’t that be a treat. Much love to you today.

2. Pat Garczynski says:

Hi Julie,
    I’m here in Denver visiting my three children and five grandchildren – my home-away-from Michigan-home! Love the DQ Blog, and once again you have picked the perfect scripture.
    Love, Pat
    P.S. Right now am at daughter Jenny’s 100-year old home in historic Park Hill. Guess what? She has a wonderful front porch, and I will be sharing your “Peace on the Porch.”

• Julie says:

Pat! How fun is that~~being on a porch with your family. Thank you so much for your sweet words. Once again, your encouragment blessed my day. So much love to you and yours~

3. B.J. Taylor says:

What a fun thought — to have a date night out that costs only $5. Intimate moments watching God’s brilliant sunsets and sharing it with the one you love, well I’d say that is truly priceless! Thanks for sharing, Jewels!

4. Ane Mulligan says:

I love our Georgia sunsets. They really are spectacular. I’ll go out on our back deck and glory in the Lord’s artistry. :)

• Julie says:

I know, Ane. I’ve let myself miss too many of them. God’s splendor takes my breath away. Love you, my dear friend.

5. Robin says:

Because of you and Ricko we have DQ nights every Thursday…
    ok, the nit-picking…the longer you’ve been mearried & the older you are the more tempting this is. Haven’t you seen those older couples that are back and forth w/ each other? I DON’T want to be that way! You remind me that less nagging leaves room for good things-like quiet evenings and hot fudge sundaes!
    xoxoxoxoxo
    to the moon…

6. I love this posting, Jewels! Mark and I are still doing coffee together in bed nearly every morning. It’s a small detail in our day but it makes a BIG difference. The little things are the glue in a relationship I’ve learned. We also like chili cheese fries at A &W:)

• Julie says:

Cath, you and Mark have been having coffee together in bed since….well for a long time. It’s all in the details. Ohhhh, I’d love chli cheese fries. Hope they’re GF! xoxo